• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

03 Avy leveled and getting new tires!

Sfinns

Just finished my Rough Country Level this morning before heading in for a new set of K02's and Pro comp 51's! Was anxious all night long because I didn't finish my level yesterday as planned due to an unscheduled hail storm that put a few nice dimples in my hood... :E:

Anyway, finished the level this morning, took a spin around town and then headed for Kansas! Pics so it counts:

Before level:
VNck71A.jpg

After level (yes it's a touch higher in the front by about 3/8":
cTNIux9.jpg

Dropping her off:
bXXrxiS.jpg

More pics to follow when they're done. I'll be enjoying my breakfast at IHOP in the meantime. :love:

And the "after". BF Goodrich AT KO2 285/70r17's on Pro Comp 51's with a Rough Country leveling kit. No rubbing, and just had to take off that back corner of the plastic bumper. Be still my beating heart... :cool:

seb33Kb.jpg

g5ES1Dc.jpg

KoonC9Y.jpg

You can see the bottom edge/corner of the bumper is very slightly trimmed at an angle to clear the tires when turning.
cFONVsr.jpg

Look at all dat room...:
ydxzkCi.jpg

Aaah. Swoon. I'm just gonna sit out here and stare at her for a while if anybody needs me. :love:

Well, it's like 33x11.5 R17.

Do you think 33x12.5 R17 should be okay on it ? (I am looking for that on mine, with a 3" leveling)

BlueWarthog said:
Well, it's like 33x11.5 R17.

Do you think 33x12.5 R17 should be okay on it ? (I am looking for that on mine, with a 3" leveling)

I would think so. That extra inch would look pretty aggressive, but you might eat up a bit of the clearance between the edge of the tire and the front of the wheel well (talking about the gap you see in my turned tire picture above). The 3" lift would probably help though, and maybe a little trimming. Soooo from my very ignorant perspective, I'd say "HELL YEAH! Go for it! (y)"

Here's mine with a 3" front lift and 2" rear lift with 33x12.5R17 with a 17x9 -6 offset wheel.  Slight rubbing on the plastic trim at extreme turning and suspension compression.  But I haven't trimmed anything yet

1Cnh1PW.jpg

Thanks guys, I love your answers !  :D

aroberson, would you accept to put a picture from face or back, I would like to see where the offset drive your wheel.
In France we don't have the right to let the wheel to exceed the edge of the body...

aroberson7791 said:
It barely sticks out in the back, I would go with a 17x9 0 offset to stay flush.

Good looking truck!! Did you notice any difference in fuel economy or how how the truck coasted at highway speeds when you got those? I've definitely noticed mine feels "heavier" with these bigger tires and steel wheels. I know they ARE a lot heavier than stock, but I didn't figure that'd be quite enough for me to notice. :dunno:

Sfinns said:
And the "after". BF Goodrich AT KO2 285/70r17's on Pro Comp 51's with a Rough Country leveling kit. No rubbing, and just had to take off that back corner of the plastic bumper. Be still my beating heart... :cool:

seb33Kb.jpg

g5ES1Dc.jpg

KoonC9Y.jpg

You can see the bottom edge/corner of the bumper is very slightly trimmed at an angle to clear the tires when turning.
cFONVsr.jpg

Look at all dat room...:
ydxzkCi.jpg

Aaah. Swoon. I'm just gonna sit out here and stare at her for a while if anybody needs me. :love:

Looks great! This is how I want my Av to look! Did you only level the front, or is there a kit in the back also? i'm looking at getting 285/70r17 for my 2003 z71, but i'm worried about rubbing. I know I can raise the front about an inch with cranking the torsion keys.

Thanks! It's just the $99 Rough country 2.5" Leveling kit in the front--all stock in the rear. The "before" picture I had posted at the top had the stock keys totally cranked (previous owner had done that) and you can see its still leaning forward quite a bit. If you're going to spend the money for the tires, I'd say spend another $99 for the leveling kit and you'll have PLENTY of room for your bigger tires. I think I read that factory wheel backspace is 5.5", and the ProComp wheels I went with are 4.25" so they stick out a little more, even with that we only had to trim that tiny sliver off the back of the bottom of the bumper. Easy stuff.

Also an update on my previous comment about how much "heavier" the new wheels and tires felt--I discovered that the techs who put them on pumped the tires to the factory recommended 34psi, so I bumped that up to 40psi as I'd done on my previous truck, and they roll MUCH better at highway speeds. These K02's are E rated so I think should be more than fine at that pressure. Hopefully if I'm wrong, someone will chime in and tell me  (y)

Since it's kind of hard to explain, here's a pic--red line shows what was trimmed off.

YYfWIH6.jpg

I have a cladded 2003 so i'm not sure how the wheel clearance differs... does anyone know if I will have to trim more plastic to fit the bigger tires (285/75/r17)?

This is how my truck sits right now. I still have about 1/2- 3/4 in of thread on the torsion key bolts that I can crank up, but I don't know how much that would raise the front end. Any ideas?

20161006_172544.jpg

Hmmm, interesting. I have the same tire in a 275 55/20 size. Which is just under 32" tall. I didn't have to do any lift or cut the fenders at all. I do have Firestone air bags in the rear coils for towing a boat, but I usually only have like 5 psi in them. I definitely see that I have less space around the tire than some of your trucks. But no interference or rubbing at all.

Sorry, the best pic that shows clearance also has the tent in it.

It really depends on offset, I am surprised I don't rub at all.  In retrospect I should have gotten the 35s.  I also dont feel the weight unless I am coming to a stop, my gas mileage is about the same, I have a superchips tuner that really helps

AirJunky said:
Hmmm, interesting. I have the same tire in a 275 55/20 size. Which is just under 32" tall. I didn't have to do any lift or cut the fenders at all. I do have Firestone air bags in the rear coils for towing a boat, but I usually only have like 5 psi in them. I definitely see that I have less space around the tire than some of your trucks. But no interference or rubbing at all.

Sorry, the best pic that shows clearance also has the tent in it.

I'm really digging those rims! You have a nice setup. Do you know what offset your wheels are? I want my tires to stick out about 1in. I'm trying to decide if I get 285/70/r17 will stick out far enough to get the look I want, or if I should just go with a new set of wheels with a lower offset.

malbrecht1 said:
I'm really digging those rims! You have a nice setup. Do you know what offset your wheels are? I want my tires to stick out about 1in. I'm trying to decide if I get 285/70/r17 will stick out far enough to get the look I want, or if I should just go with a new set of wheels with a lower offset.

If you have stock wheels, the 285/70 will not stick out at all.  I had that previously, I would recommend a 17x9 -12 offset to get that agressive stance.  Check out customoffsets.com and willtheyfit.com

malbrecht1 said:

Those are 20" rims. Not sure of the offset, but very close to the same as OEM. The overall diameter of the tire is maybe an inch or so bigger than stock. And they don't stick out much, even with no fender flairs at all.

Sfinns said:
Just finished my Rough Country Level this morning before heading in for a new set of K02's and Pro comp 51's! Was anxious all night long because I didn't finish my level yesterday as planned due to an unscheduled hail storm that put a few nice dimples in my hood... :E:

Anyway, finished the level this morning, took a spin around town and then headed for Kansas! Pics so it counts:

Before level:
VNck71A.jpg

After level (yes it's a touch higher in the front by about 3/8":
cTNIux9.jpg

Dropping her off:
bXXrxiS.jpg

More pics to follow when they're done. I'll be enjoying my breakfast at IHOP in the meantime. :love:
This is the exact look I want for my 11' Avy. Im curious though, how is the road noise and ride affected compared to factory tires? How is your fuel mileage affected by the leveling kit?

Back