• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Intermittent squeal from front driver side wheel

Lorah740

Here's a good one. Had a squeal coming from the front driver side wheel. Took it to the dealer and they said there was some kind of debris that got caught up and melted on the inner pad and rotor. They cleaned it all up and said everything was fine. Well, 2 days later it's back. Took a look and there's no debris on anything. No play or wobble in the wheel so I don't think it's a bearing. Any other thoughts on what could be causing it or where else to look?  :E:

Sounds like either the clips are missing that allow the pads to slide in the caliper or the caliper slide pins are sticking. Either way your pads are likely worn and the squealing is due to the wear indicator.

Rodney

redheadedrod said:
your pads are likely worn and the squealing is due to the wear indicator.

I'd think the dealership tech would have noticed that...

^ you would be surprised how much these mechanics miss......

I had a metal on metal clanking noise over bumps on my 07. Took the truck in 5x for the same noise after they said they fixed it each time INCLUDING trying to charge me for 3 zip ties. I pulled out of the lot and could hear the noise again right away.

I found the rusted metal brake pad clip had fallen apart and the brake pad was rattling.....  :beating:

A lot of mechanics are just code readers and part replacers and have no skill to actually troubleshoot noises and issues.

True but the dealerships I've been visiting in recent years generally give me measurements on the amount of pad I have left at each wheel even when I'm just going in for things like an oil and filter change.  If they are doing that I'd think they'd at least look at the pads if a customer is complaining of a squeal coming from a wheel.

Took my truck in to the GM dealer and the mechanic is good friends with my GF. I told them I had an annoying rattle that I could not find when I ran over bumps. The mechanic is supposedly one of the top GM mechanics this side of the state and holds every certification that GM gives at the highest levels... Could not find an issue....

Took to a different mechanic, they found a broken link on the rear sway bar and that the e-brake had disintegrated on one side. New link and e-brake left overs removed and truck is quiet again.

So yea, just because they are top mechanics doesn't mean they don't miss the obvious some times.

I make few assumptions about anything these days and don't assume people know the obvious. I have learned by experience that even the smartest people aren't always. (Me included)

Rodney

Ya know, if I took you up on that I would have to try making an offer on your SC... ;)

Regardless if I won or not...

Heck since my engine doesn't appear broken I might as well try to break it... ;)

Rodney

Did this ever get fixed, and if so what was causing the problem?

Back