• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2010 ~ 2013 Model difference info please

gigahertz

I'm in the process of searching for my next Avalanche.

Nothing can take the place of an Avalanche except with another Avalanche.

Right now I am driving a 2005 Z71 Avalanche and it's time for a newer one.

What I am trying to find out are the changes, upgrade, feature deletion/addition between model years 2010 thru 2013.

Please post whatever info you have no matter how small the differences are.

Much appreciated!

Not sure I would focus on model year specifics 2010 -2013 when buying a used AV.....I would concentrate on the individual vehicle history for things like maintenance and accident/flood history as well as exposure to road salts and harsh conditions.
You may want to read through older threads about members when they bought a specific year and what they discovered or owner's manuals and items mentioned? I do know things like the smooth cladding became an option in about 2010 and cost extra, in the 2013 model it was a standard item but other things were decontented in 2013 since it was the last year.
Good luck with your search........

From another thread:

Forge04 said:
While the first bit of advice from MyBigToy is golden, I did a good bit of research as we looked to upgrade from our 2004 to - something newer.

Here are the high points:

In 2007 GM went to the GMT900 platform.
  • What this means is they discontinued the 2500 (3/4 ton model) so no more 8.1L, heavier suspension and 8 lug (heavier duty) axles. -1 point for the 2007 and newer (GMT900).
  • With the change in suspension, they lost the torsion bars for a front spring, going coilovers and greatly improving the ride and handling. +1 point for GMT900.
  • From 2007 to 2009 GM offered the 6.0L as an option. It had a baseline of 366 HP to ~320 HP for the 5.3L's. Torque came to 376 lb-ft vs 335 lb-ft (348 lb-ft on E85) +1 point for the 6.0L.
  • Beginning in 2009 GM offered the 6 speed 6L80 transmission, instead of the 4 speed 4L60-E and 80-E automatics. +1 point for GMT900.
  • For the GMT900s, the engines were equipped with AFM (active fuel management), shutting down 4 cylinders under light load or coasting. There was a problem with the AFM that was fixed for 2009. +1 point for GMT900, 2009 and newer.
  • The 6.0L also offered VVT (variable valve timing). No points, already awarded to the 6.0L.
  • The Z71s are nice all around with off-road-ish suspension. The Z66 was a 2WD version with sport tuned suspension instead. No points.
  • The LTZs also have an air-ride suspension, meaning the shocks will adjust automatically, mostly for trailering, keeping the vehicle level instead of hunkering down under load. +1 point for GMT900.
  • LTZ - the premium package. Backup camera. DVD player. Heated and cooled front seats. Heated steering wheel. NAV. Bluetooth phone. Trailer brake control. The best package for the Avvy's. +2 points for GMT900s.

Now, what does this mean for you??

I lucked into my 2009 with the 6.0L and 6L80. 2009 was the only year for this option. Some complain that the 6 speed is finicky in it's selection and timing of shifts, I find it's fine. Plus we have an LTZ where the only option we're missing is the heated steering wheel.

All that said, the GMT900 is a huge improvement for the Avalanche. If you can, get a GMT900.

However, there's always a caveat, the GMT900s have a sharp increase in price, usually. If you take two Avalanches, a 2006 LT with standard equipment (last year for GMT800) and a 2007 LT (first year for GTM900) , the 800 comes to $9,934 while the 900 is at $12,661, with both of them in excellent condition and 140,000 miles.

The LTZ is about another $1000. Numbers from KBB.

Essentially, if you're looking at either  2006 Z71 fully loaded with 85K miles vs. a 2007 LTZ fully loaded with 110K miles, well, I don't envy that decision... :D

Good luck!

Thanks you guys for your replies, I need to sit down and do more reading on the site.

Wish they kept the Avalanche on the production line......sucks.

Thanks again!!!

gigahertz said:
Thanks you guys for your replies, I need to sit down and do more reading on the site.

Thanks again!!!
[/quote

We just have to take care of the ones we have  (y)

4x4dreamer said:
gigahertz said:

Thanks again!!!
[/quote

We just have to take care of the ones we have  (y)

Imagine the Avalanche in the latest generation truck platform with available turbo diesel engine option.....one can dream!

gigahertz said:
Imagine the Avalanche in the latest generation truck platform with available turbo diesel engine option.....one can dream!

Have you seen the thread about the GMT800 up in Alaska, can't remember the member's name, that put a duramax in it?

Dalefan said:

Thanks!!!!! That helped sooo much!!!!

I am down to deciding 2012 or 2013 LTZ differences.

What are the differences (no matter how subtle) who guys can think of between the two?

What do you guys think?

Thanks again

Forge04 said:
Have you seen the thread about the GMT800 up in Alaska, can't remember the member's name, that put a duramax in it?

Sounds like an awesome mod but I like mine all stock for reliability so GM really NEED to bring this truck back and have a bit of fun with it.

So many people will buy a 2500 Avalanche with the latest diesel engine as an option.

Forge04 said:

That would be Alaska_AV

Its the badges for sure. Having painted sails was an option on the 12's, while it was standard on the 13's (including the LS). The 13 comes with a custom book with a copy of the factory sticker and owner name. The 12 has the updated NAV/HDD unit, so they should be the same. You can probably pick up a 12 with painted sails and put on the badges for cheaper than a 13 since the special edition holds value better. Mechanically, they are about equivalent...

Back