• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Dim Or Dark PRND21

guttersnipes199

How do I repair my gear indicator display, I've heard that it could be a bad solder on a resistor. Does anyone know how to remove the display from the dash board so I can check if it needs to be soldered?

Thanks John

Attachments

• gear_indicator_fix3.jpg
    gear_indicator_fix3.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 33
What year do you have?

There are threads on here about that very problem, refine you search, I had an 03 with that problem, if you take the cluster out, take it apart being careful not to break the  tabs on the lens. you will see the pc board on the pc board as in your picture, if I remember correctly it was the top right corner that needed to be resoldered.  While you have it out, you can put it in without screwing it down, without the lens cover and take a pencil and push on the corners of the board (prnd321)and see if that makes difference. I put a little heat to all four corners just to tighten em up so to say.  Needless to say this involves taking the needles off and the face plate as well, be sure you can handle all this before attempting this procedure. If you have gone this far you might as well replace the stepper motors while your in there, they can be had on Ebay for fairly cheap. The biggest problem I had was getting the needle for the speedo correct, I used the GPS then set the cruise, then put the needle on several times lol untill it matched.  If all this seems to much to handle there are several companies that will rebuild your cluster with I think its two day service.  Yes you can drive your AV without a cluster in it!  Hope this helps

Didit

Thank You so much Didit! This is definitely out of my DIY comfort zone. I'll look for a company to fix it

Back