• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2007 5.3L spun a rod bearing........383 incoming!!!

batmanntexas

Hello all!

So, back in May, I picked up a 2007 Avalanche 3LT, LC9, Gold Mist Metallic, with 153K on the odometer.  The previous owner(s) had already installed some aftermarket wheels and tires, so I got lucky there.  In any case, the truck was bone stock other than the wheels.  I drove it around for about a month and decided that it needed to actually sound like a truck, so I threw some long tube headers on it, a Banks Monster Muffler, and custom fabricated a dual exhaust setup with 4" tips.  Now it sounded like a truck, a tame truck at that.  So, fast forward to August, and I decided to throw a cam in it, along with getting the intake, heads, and throttle body ported.  The cam was a 216/223 with about .615" lift, and I installed new pushrods and new rocker arm trunnions at the same time.  I got it all installed and running good, and three weeks later, on the way to work, it started to make a hammering noise something terrible.  Got it back home, pulled the dipstick and saw a metallic tint in the oil.  I pulled the engine out early October and disassembled it, and it had trashed the crank.

After thinking about the options, I decided to go bigger.  So I ordered up a 383 stroker kit from Texas Speed, a new cam, 239/247/.649/.649 @ 112LSA, 3200 Triple D Stall converter, and had the heads re-ported for max effort (intake flows 315 cfm @.600", exhaust 301cfm @ .650"), and a 12:1 CR. 

I just received the block back from the machine shop on Friday, November 11th.  I am in the process of painting the block, oil pan, valve covers, water pump, rear cover, and timing cover.  So, assembly will take some time.  I'm excited to hear, and feel, this thing come back to life!! 

More to follow.....

-Scott

That's quite a large cam for a truck, and also quite a healthy compression ratio.  Let us know how you like it after you get it on the road.

What's your budget for the engine work and rebuild?

Good luck with the build!

enoniam said:
That's quite a large cam for a truck, and also quite a healthy compression ratio.  Let us know how you like it after you get it on the road.

What's your budget for the engine work and rebuild?

Good luck with the build!

Thanks, and I figured the additional stroke will help tame the cam a little bit.  As far as budget goes, so far, ihave spent the following:

1. Machine work - $740
2. Rotating assembly (Forged and balanced), engine internals, gaskets, bolts, studs, etc. - $3600
3. Ported heads, intake, and throttle body - $1000
4. Stall converter - $475
5. New camshaft - $350
6. Odds and ends - $100
7.  Still working....$$$??

So, grand total so far is about $6200.

Well, got the short block put together, and all the pieces painted.  I'd post some pics, but I don't seem to be able to post any on this forum.  During all the time I spent ordering my parts and accessories, I forgot to order the oil galley restrictor, that diverts the oil through the filter before sending it through the motor, so I had to order that Saturday.  Once it comes in, I can button up the short block, and get this stabbed back in the truck!  Hope to have it running by the end of the Thanksgiving weekend.  We'll see......

You can upload your pictures to a free photo hosting site like PhotoBucket.

Choose the picture you are wanting to post and click on the "IMG" link for that picture.

Come back to this forum and click at the point in your post you want the picture to appear and right click and choose "paste" to paste the IMG link code into your forum post.

Hit the "Preview" button to make sure everything looks like you wanted it to.

Hit "Post" and sit back and enjoy your cool posting with a picture.

(y)

Alright, completed shortblock. 

Truck1_zpsctj6fbv3.jpg

Truck2_zpsnsdsadfy.jpg

They are upside down so that the color would show up.  My camera, or more likely, my skills, suck....

I like it!

(y)

Soon to follow, comments concerning your choice of a Fram oil filter.

:laugh:

Yep, probably so.  They can rest easy knowing that it is only on for the first 100 miles, then it's time for another oil change. 

I would loose that orange oil filter and get a different flavor.
Get one for a 2002 5.3 while your at it ,it's longer.

batmanntexas said:
Alright, completed shortblock. 

Truck1_zpsctj6fbv3.jpg

Truck2_zpsnsdsadfy.jpg

They are upside down so that the color would show up.  My camera, or more likely, my skills, suck....

Update:  She lives!!  I should hit the 100 mile mark tomorrow on the rebuild, so I'll be swapping the oil filter then.  Still working out some tune issues, but initial impression is.........AWESOME!!!!  I'll try to get a video posted in the next day or so.

-Scott

sorry for the radio silence, Guys.  Been having some issues with the tune.  I have a buddy who was supposed to help me out with the tuning, but no joy so far.  So, I have made an appointment for a dyno tune on the 21st of December.  I am currently in Florida, but will be travelling home tomorrow, so I will grab a GoPro video and throw it up on youtube, and paste the link.  Even though it's not tuned correctly, it still sounds bad-ass.....just saying.

Update:

I wasn't able to make my tune appointment on the 21st of December, so I had to re-schedule it for the 14th of January.  I was able to get my buddy to lend me a hand on the tune, so it is at least driveable, at about 11MPG :( (I don't expect an economy car, but I'm hoping it gets better than 11MPG after the tune).

Driving impression so far:  It's a monster!  From a stand still, it will obliterate the tires if you nail the gas pedal.  Let it get rolling and then nail the throttle, this thing turns into a freaking rocket!  It gets to 100MPH in a hurry.  I am still on the stock tranny tune, so it is shifting around 5900-6000RPM, so once it is tuned it should be a lot better, carrying the shifts to 6500 or so.  I'm already looking at a Monster transmission, but I'll drive this one until it starts to quit. 

I have just passed the 500 mile mark on the motor, performed two oil changes, and am now on full synthetic 5W-30 Royal Purple with a bottle of Lucas Oil TB Zinc Plus oil additive. 

I'll post a video link once the tune is complete.

-Scott

Back