• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rabbits chewed through my injector wires

FtCAV

Charter Member
Please direct me to another thread if this has been addressed but none of my searches found anything.

We just moved out of town to a 5 acre lot in the middle of several other similar lots: 20 houses in about 300 acres total, so pretty much country.

I left my Avalanche in the driveway for a few days. Went to move it last night and the check engine light is on. Codes P0200 (injector circuit) and P0300 (mulitple misfires). I figured I had a big troubleshooting problem ahead of me so I popped the hood after work today. Well, it looks like I had a rabbit or two feasting on the wiring. Two injector wires are chewed through.  :mad:

It looks like I can splice replacements in for the damaged connectors but I don't see part numbers anywhere. Anyone have an idea?
And any effective, first hand solutions for keeping rabbits (and mice) out of there this winter? It's got to be an attractive place to hang out if you live outside.

Look at RockAuto under electrical connectors.. Good luck keeping the critters out...

Never heard of rabbits doing this. Mice, rats, squirrels - yes. Are you sure it wasn't squirrels? Guess it doesn't really matter. For mice and rats you can use regular traps or glue traps under the truck. You can also scatter moth balls under the truck. It's kept rabbits from under my porch. Get some cats and dogs to keep the pests away. Buy a decent pellet rifle and start a massacre.  :cheers:

Get a big dog and a mean cat.

Thanks for the suggestions.A neighbor diagnosed 'rabbit' as the offender.
Rockauto connectors are on the way. And maybe a pellet gun from grandpa.
The dog and cat ideas got some discussion last night. We're not there yet but that's probably the best solution.

I would go as far as to say more like chipmunks...  :eek:

Definitely a rabbit.

I got home from work today and wanted to verify there were only two injector wires to splice. I popped the hood and my furry friend was sitting right on top of the engine. That was a bit of a surprise for both of us.  I guess they can climb as well as hop. I think he thinks he has a new home so I'll evict him soon. Dogs and cats are looking better.

I spliced some temporary wires in and the check engine light is gone. That's good. I'll splice the new connectors in when they get here next week.

I would have thought a squirrel, PS rabbits taste like chicken.

FtCAV said:
Definitely a rabbit.

I got home from work today and wanted to verify there were only two injector wires to splice. I popped the hood and my furry friend was sitting right on top of the engine. That was a bit of a surprise for both of us.  I guess they can climb as well as hop. I think he thinks he has a new home so I'll evict him soon. Dogs and cats are looking better.

I spliced some temporary wires in and the check engine light is gone. That's good. I'll splice the new connectors in when they get here next week.

Since it's confirmed to be a rabbit, you could consider live trapping it with a box trap if you don't want to kill it. Rabbits are very easy to trap; you could then "relocate" him many miles away and eliminate your problem, assuming it's only one or only a couple of rabbits. I used to build box traps as a kid and caught many rabbits that way. You can buy the wire box traps in rabbit size for about $30; you also might be able to borrow one from your Conservation Department or possibly from your local Animal Control.

If you trap it yourself be careful approaching the trap, you may accidentally trap a skunk  :9:  
I meant to add you can ask Animal Control, DNR or maybe the Humane Society, one of those referred us to a local guy that traps/releases small animals pretty cheap that offers "First Time FREE!", he sells traps too.
MyBigToy  (y)  for the trapping idea

Realistic Owl Scarecrow with Flashing Eyes and Frightening Sound ? Solar Powered and Motion Activated

Cheap owl decoys might work With all the cats, squirrels and my dogs a motion sensor owl is out of the question here. I like gadgets so thought the solar power owl was neat!

If you ever go with the owl I say do not put anywhere close to the Avalanche.
Have you ever seen crows reaction to an owl. They are the worst of enemies.
If you want a good time take it out back put it on a pole and let the fun begin. 

Well he defeated my chicken wire barricade yesterday and was under the hood when I got home. At least I had the foresight to wrap some heavy blankets over the top of the engine to cover wiring. I had shoved some cardboard into the large cavities around the block, hoping to reduce access and make it hard for him to find a place to sit. He just found a place to sit and chewed on cardboard until I got home.

I like the owl but I don't get the feeling that's a real long term fix. Trapping might work but there are several other rabbits in the neighborhood so I doubt I would ever get ahead with that approach.

I left a few mousetraps underneath the truck last night. One was tripped this morning so I hope he tripped in and got a little fearful. He wasn't under the hood this morning but I expect to see him tonight when I get home. I'm going to spray him with Deer-b-Gone the next couple of times I see him. Hopefully that will be the humane way of changing his behavior.

We had a coon get in the powerhouse at GM truck assembly years back, it found the conductive electrical grease tasty. Cooked coon, it got about 70,000v gnawing on a condenser and caused a 4 hr. power outage.

I suppose you could try feeding the rabbit/s, cut a small hole in a big bag of rabbit food and take a long hike then split it open and leave it. If it works do it again but start there and leave them a trail even further away.

>Get a big dog and a mean cat.

This ^^^    I don't know anyone who lives in a secluded area like that without an outside dog and/or cats.      Other than that you are going to either have to kill it or trap and relocate.  But-- I think you are going to have repeated problems with animals without a dog.    I've had a number of animal problems and I'm not that far out... deer eating up entire flower beds, skunks, ground hogs digging under house..  ugh...      then once you get the dog, you'll have problems with it getting sprayed by skunks...  :cautious:

It's very likely only the one rabbit that has figured out the talent to climb and the others won't bother once you get rid of him. You could also put a small, shallow pan of straight anti-freeze on top of the engine. It's sweet and poisonous so he will drink it and disappear for good.

MyBigToy said:
It's very likely only the one rabbit that has figured out the talent to climb and the others won't bother once you get rid of him. You could also put a small, shallow pan of straight anti-freeze on top of the engine. It's sweet and poisonous so he will drink it and disappear for good.

Effective but cruel.  I wonder why rabbits, squirrels, chimpmunks, etc., and other similar vermin like the taste of wiring in the first place. Figured you're out in the boonies they would find something tastier to gnaw on.

I sprayed him with Deer B Gone and set my mouse traps in the engine compartment. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

ngrome said:
Effective but cruel.  I wonder why rabbits, squirrels, chimpmunks, etc., and other similar vermin like the taste of wiring in the first place. Figured you're out in the boonies they would find something tastier to gnaw on.

I've read the coating on the wire has a salt taste to them.
Once they are onto it's like they are addicted.
Well you better get him before he brings reinforcements.

MyBigToy said:
It's been a while - any resolution to your problem?

??? ???

Back