• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2002 Side Mirror glass heated & Auto Dim

ygmn

This is a Custom Title
Staff Member
Administrator
Charter Member
PM 2024
PM 2023
PM 2022
PM 2021
PM 2020
PM 2019
PM 2018
PM 2017
PM 2016
PM 2015
PM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
I have looked and I have looked.

Anyone have PN, link or source for a:
2002 driver side mirror glass
Heated & Auto Dimming.
no arrow in 2002.

I can find heated but no auto dim.
my auto dim cracked and the fluid oozed out....

I have searched old threads and none show where to get auto dim glass.

I cannot even find on my few GM part websites.

Be prepared to pay a bundle. My '04 driver's side mirror has failed internally causing the top half to appear hazy. New glass only with heat, dim and signal is almost $200.

Not replacing it until the state inspector starts failing it.

I think I found it:
http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-glass-o-s-88986364.html?Make=Chevrolet&Model=Avalanche&Year=2002&Submodel=1500+2WD&Filter=()&Location=mirror-outside-rear-view,,297896fc01efd0028690b23a97e4486c

PN = 88986364

You google that and get prices from $20 to $200.

Then ya read ad and they say without dimming yet they use that PN.

Confusing.

Think I may just buy the heated and be done with it. no need for auto dimming really - it was neat but not a deal breaker today.

my driver's side mirror has a large area of brownish discoloration, I don't know if it ever dimmed or was heated. Live in the Pacific NW so don't think heating that important.

Dealer is giving an estimate of about $700 for a new replacement, including labor. Is this a job I can do myself, and do i have to replace the whole unit, or is there a mirror I can just stick over the old one, that will still adjust??

It is too risky to use the current mirror, too hard to see oncoming cars, so I need to fix it.

Any direction to a good replacement appreciated. I looked at some on Amazon but some reviews said the replacement housings were light and cheap.

tg said:
my driver's side mirror has a large area of brownish discoloration, I don't know if it ever dimmed or was heated. Live in the Pacific NW so don't think heating that important.

Dealer is giving an estimate of about $700 for a new replacement, including labor. Is this a job I can do myself, and do i have to replace the whole unit, or is there a mirror I can just stick over the old one, that will still adjust??

It is too risky to use the current mirror, too hard to see oncoming cars, so I need to fix it.

Any direction to a good replacement appreciated. I looked at some on Amazon but some reviews said the replacement housings were light and cheap.
That glass is the only thing that needs replaced. It CAREFULLY pops out with a little prying on the top or bottom of the lens itself.

Just make sure you buy the correct size one as I think 2003 and later have different size....

As posted by ohiobellboy there are a lot of you tubes to help.
If you search on site there is a lot on repairing mirrors. 
The last time I checked at the dealer for a drivers self dimming mirror
It was not much difference between buying the glass then buying the hole assembly.
You can find aftermarket glass cheaper but it will not have the self dimming.
It is in the expense of the material used for the self dimming.   
I've had good luck with 1A Auto and good support. For just the glass a locale glass
shop and there is safe glass. 

If you put what year and flavor in your sig it helps others to help you. 

I have this problem too.  The mirror has a brown tint and everything is kind of double imaged.  At least now I know what happened.  Off to find an 02 driver mirror.

Back