• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

02 1500 starting issues

ronin70

Evening everyone, so this is strange. Drove to the dump today everything was fine, on way home truck died while moving, no lights, no misfire, just died. I managed to pull over and tried to start and it just turns over and attempts to start. I had it towed home and after sitting awhile it tries to start, runs real rough and cuts off. I thought it was bad gas from my weekend trip to the mountains so I changed the fuel filter and fuel module with no luck really, it did start, ran real rough and the low oil pressure light came on and the engine reved up real high and cut off again.Anyone ever heard of something like this?

Sounds like the fuel pump.. Turn the key to run position without starting with the drivers door open and listen for the fuel pump under the rear door drivers side, it should run for a few seconds pressuring up the fuel rail. You can also check for pressure at the fuel rail if you have a gauge..

ronin70 said:
Evening everyone, so this is strange. Drove to the dump today everything was fine, on way home truck died while moving, no lights, no misfire, just died. I managed to pull over and tried to start and it just turns over and attempts to start. I had it towed home and after sitting awhile it tries to start, runs real rough and cuts off. I thought it was bad gas from my weekend trip to the mountains so I changed the fuel filter and fuel module with no luck really, it did start, ran real rough and the low oil pressure light came on and the engine reved up real high and cut off again.Anyone ever heard of something like this?

The '02's were wired differently, but..........

I wouldn't rule out a relay, since the issue has come up recently on a few of the sites.

On mine, it would be easy to test.  Believe there are three identical relays in the fuse panel that could be swapped temporarily to isolate one that is failing.

I would get the fuel pressure tested.

First step and easiest, turn the key.. Do you hear it run?

X2 on fuel pump, that's exactly how mine acted when fuel pump failed, low fuel pressure would allow it to start occasionally but it would die immediately.

Thanks for all the great replys and ideas to try, so far the relays were a no go and then I tried an oil sensor which was also a no go, so I guess its a pump issue, does anyone have the measurements for cutting the access hatch to get to the pump?

ronin70 said:
Thanks for all the great replys and ideas to try, so far the relays were a no go and then I tried an oil sensor which was also a no go, so I guess its a pump issue, does anyone have the measurements for cutting the access hatch to get to the pump?

No need to hack up your truck and cut a hatch. Dropping the tank on these trucks is really no big deal. Support the tank with a couple of floor jacks and a couple of scrap lengths of 2x6 or 2x8 or whatever, undo the two straps, remove the fuel filler pipe hose clamp, and you're ready to start lowering the tank. I did it on my truck, it was a fairly easy task. The only thing I had problems with was the damn fuel filler hose clamp, because somebody put it on in a stupid way and I could not get any sort of tool onto it to loosen it. If thoughts could kill, that guy'd be dead now. lol! Anyhow, out came the air hammer and blasted that S.O.B.
After that - easy peasy  >:D

CarMech1969

Well the tank came out without an issue, used two ratchet straps across the bottom of the tank , then just lowered them. Fuel pump was one bug mass of rust, but got that off without any issue and put the new one in easy. everything went back together easy and it started without any problems. only issue is that it now leaks and I cant find where it is leaking from, small problem compaired to the other one. Thanks for the hints and ideas, I really appreciate it.

ronin70 said:
Well the tank came out without an issue, used two ratchet straps across the bottom of the tank , then just lowered them. Fuel pump was one bug mass of rust, but got that off without any issue and put the new one in easy. everything went back together easy and it started without any problems. only issue is that it now leaks and I cant find where it is leaking from, small problem compaired to the other one. Thanks for the hints and ideas, I really appreciate it.

You might have disturbed a rusty section of fuel line during the re-and-re process and now have a pinhole leak. Unfortunately sometimes happens. Usually the way I do it is sniff out the source of the leak like a bloodhound. Lol. If it works, roll with it!  ;D

Back