• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rust on alloy wheels?

ngrome

So my AV has one wheel which is pretty badly oxidized, I believe due to the extreme heat it experienced when my brother-in-law used it with dragging brakes and a frozen caliper when he owned it (which as you saw in another thread I just replaced).  But now the wheel is showing some light rust on it, which surprised me because I didn't think alloys rusted, unless their chemical properties got altered like this one as you can see in the pic below.  What can you do to get rid of the rust on alloys without sanding as that will probably scratch it up? (Pic doesn't show it as it was taken earlier in the year, but there is light rust around where the spokes are.)  Thanks in advance.

20161106_135238a_zpsdcsoyhbq.jpg

I use Bar Keeper's Friend, it has enough bite to clean, but not so much as to damage the surface. Use the powder form, not the squeeze bottle. This is not found in auto stores, look in Lowes or Walmart.

In an extreme case like in your photo, you may have to take the wheel to a shop and have them refurbish it. They will strip off the clear, clean and brush the aluminum, and then apply new clear.

I would suggest getting your rims powder-coated to refresh all of them.

My winter rims looked like yours. I used paint stripper to remove the remaining clear coat then used a wire wheel on a drill to remove the oxidization then punted them gloss black. I also painted the center caps black them bought center cap decals.

ngrome said:
So my AV has one wheel which is pretty badly oxidized, I believe due to the extreme heat it experienced when my brother-in-law used it with dragging brakes and a frozen caliper when he owned it (which as you saw in another thread I just replaced).  But now the wheel is showing some light rust on it, which surprised me because I didn't think alloys rusted, unless their chemical properties got altered like this one as you can see in the pic below.  What can you do to get rid of the rust on alloys without sanding as that will probably scratch it up? (Pic doesn't show it as it was taken earlier in the year, but there is light rust around where the spokes are.)  Thanks in advance.

20161106_135238a_zpsdcsoyhbq.jpg

Obviously, the clear coat was compromised.  Then, small pieces of pad stuck to the wheel, & began to rust.

There are products out there to remove these particles.  IronX would be a good example.

Removing this imbedded brake dust is the first step.

Since you're in Chicago, i'm only about 3-4 hours away.  I have 2 rims that are in pretty decent shape if you're interested.  I'll give 'em to ya if you make the trip.  :)

angshan said:
My winter rims looked like yours. I used paint stripper to remove the remaining clear coat then used a wire wheel on a drill to remove the oxidization then punted them gloss black. I also painted the center caps black them bought center cap decals.

That looks pretty damn good!

Nick@Night said:
Obviously, the clear coat was compromised.  Then, small pieces of pad stuck to the wheel, & began to rust.

There are products out there to remove these particles.  IronX would be a good example.

Removing this imbedded brake dust is the first step.

Yeah, I found out after changing that caliper the brake dust shield was totally obliterated by rust, therefore brake dust most likely caused this on the wheel.

Mentholized said:
Since you're in Chicago, i'm only about 3-4 hours away.  I have 2 rims that are in pretty decent shape if you're interested.  I'll give 'em to ya if you make the trip.  :)

I sure am tempted by your offer, but I have to decide if I'm keeping the truck. I just got it roadworthy at this point, it's been fun to drive and have, but not sure if practical for the long term. I'll decide in the spring if I don't get rid of it sooner. I'll check in with you if they're still available down the road. Thanks!

Alloys rust, there are many kinds of oxidation, GOLD so far as I know is the only metal that doesn't rust but it's an element, unlike alloys that are 2 or more metals combined. I think the reason your wheels corroded is because the clear finish on them either burned up in the sun or through nicks and scratches and let moisture in. Remember cathodic corrosion happens when you have a cathode and anode in the presence of an electrolyte. In your case that's the wheel and it's allows and the steel (iron) of the vehicle. You can get small pieces of ZINC (very active) and screw them to the frame and they will corrode instead of the other metals.  I'm betting aluminum is more less active than iron but your wheel still corroded. What can you do about it? Get your wheels media blasted with some fine aluminum oxcide and get them painted or powder coated.

We haven't tried Bar Keepers Friend yet, but we were just talking about that. We will try it! thx

Back