• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Broken/cracked rear window frame

Oxsign

Anyone else seem to have this issue?? I live in FL and I noticed months ago that it had what looked like stress cracks. I went to clean the window today an noticed this today.

The other side has a crack as well.

There are several older threads about the rear window frame cracking.
I didn't have a problem in my 2004 but my 2008 developed the crack near the corner but not exactly in the corner. I used clear RTV sealer and it seems to keep the water out and so far the crack hasn't gotten worse. Some say the plastic gets brittle and cracks instead of flexing. I think the RTV stays flexible so it may help.
Others jut get back window replaced either by themselves or maybe by GM in the past but doubt that is an option anymore for GM to cover it...

started as a problem back in 2002....

Safelite sells replacements if you need one otherwise I just limp along with my cracked and split frame.
being carefull when I store it in the midgate.

lol how many times does it have to be said,  JB  Weld for plastic, it works wonders!

Didit

yeah, I've had my avy for about 4 years, and it's been broken the whole time. As far as i can tell i'm not getting water in the cab.  I think it's about 250 to replace it from safelite.  But now i have decals and such on it and don't wanna replace them....  >:D >:D

One of mine is cracked.

The other one is not.

This is my third avalanche, and I have my 3rd broken window frame. It has happened in the same spot on all 3 - right in the middle bottom where the arrow is. It is a known design flaw that has not (possibly can not) been corrected. The 1st 2 times, it happened in the bumper to bumper, and they replaced it. This time, it took 4 years, and the dealer said it is trim, so it probably would not be covered under extended warranty. I probably could have pushed the matter, but I was in a hurry. I'll get the ebay replacement (I think around $150 last time I checked), but I have used RTV to repair it until then. I have a quality dark tint on it, and don't feel like paying for that again as well...

BTW, this is the only issue I have had with the truck in 4 years/50k miles...not a big deal, and only a few bucks to fix...

Back