• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

The Avalanche of the Future

Wait until you see the 2017 Silverado "High Desert" model several people have mistakenly thought it was the bringing back of the AV but it doesn't have a midgate, just side storage, stylized sail panels and hard bed covers to make it look like an AV from a distance.........(Has been discussed in several threads already.)

Attachments

• 2017-Chevrolet-Silverado-HighDesert-003 (Small) (Custom) (Custom).jpg
    2017-Chevrolet-Silverado-HighDesert-003 (Small) (Custom) (Custom).jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 115
Sad but true this is my next truck, but it will probably be a dually

GMC Sierra 2500HD All Terrain X
1476101699531.jpgl

Why don't they make an Avalanche trim package out of the Suburban?

Seriously.

The Avalanche is built upon the suburban platform anyway. Just take off the hatchback, adding the midgate and bed.

Forge04 that has been discussed many times in several threads since we first learned of the death of the AV and 2013 was going to be the last year. In addition to what you mentioned you would need to make the sail panel supports and numerous other parts to complete the conversion from a Suburban. We all know it physically can be done but the question is could it be done on a profitable level that GM would be comfortable making a limited production truck that may lead to owner complaints of faded cladding and water leaks.........
I don't know if it was a consideration with the release of the High Country Silverado but GM could make more money probably with that truck since it looks like you use all parts from standard production Silverado and just drop in a bed package to simulate an AV. That way if for some reason that option package doesn't sell they can keep on making standard Silverados without specialized limited production parts.

:deadhorse:

greatgab said:
Not a bad looking 'TRUCK'  (n)

Don't know about you guys but there are tons of new Colorado's on the roads here in the Chicago area, or GMC Canyons, they've made them larger about the same size as AV's and they do remind me of the AV somewhat.  I guess that's the look of Chevy/GM trucks these days, like this Silverado. 

Vaeagleav said:
Forge04 that has been discussed many times in several threads since we first learned of the death of the AV and 2013 was going to be the last year. In addition to what you mentioned you would need to make the sail panel supports and numerous other parts to complete the conversion from a Suburban. We all know it physically can be done but the question is could it be done on a profitable level that GM would be comfortable making a limited production truck that may lead to owner complaints of faded cladding and water leaks.........
I don't know if it was a consideration with the release of the High Country Silverado but GM could make more money probably with that truck since it looks like you use all parts from standard production Silverado and just drop in a bed package to simulate an AV. That way if for some reason that option package doesn't sell they can keep on making standard Silverados without specialized limited production parts.

I once owned an '89 Ramcharger, and though it didn't, I planned on cutting the top off, much like the older RCs, Blazers and Broncos. Furthermore, the Scout bug bit me, where I had two Scout IIs. Those were amazing machines: D44 axles, V8 power... and that removable top. It'd be interesting to have the Tahoe/Suburban do the same yeah? Just have a removable rear section. Then the Avalanche concept could go forward with a drop in hard panel and fold down seats...

You could do that now with a Snugtop on an AV. Only thing missing would be the third row seating........
I would not want to be by myself and try to remove a top large enough for a AV/ Suburban though, I would have to have some friends help or get a pulley system to lift top off for storage.

The High Desert package shows me GM is pondering bringing back an Avalanche-type vehicle. It basically has everything but the midgate. Maybe with the '19 models.

igotzzoom said:
The High Desert package shows me GM is pondering bringing back an Avalanche-type vehicle. It basically has everything but the midgate. Maybe with the '19 models.
My .02 again but this is the "AV like" answer that GM is going to give us an I doubt if we will see a true AV anytime soon. I do like the midgate feature among other things but with the new High Desert Silverado you can get a 6.2 liter motor and magnetic ride control as well as a host of electronic bells and whistles to distract all but the most diehard AV fan....
Every year some people post maybe the next model year will be the rebirth of the AV......2014.....2015....2016...2017.. 2018....2019 etc.....

And while that bar looks cool it would prevent the use of a cap.  Even the Avy has the option to use a snug top, which we use for our camping excursions.  And as far as all the electronic gizmos, thanks but no thanks.  More stuff to go wrong and when it thinks it's working correctly when it's not, and therefore doesn't throw an error code...  Ask me how I know.

Every time I see these trucks, they remind me of a 1980's pick up with a triple tube roll bar and Baja lights...

It just really doesn't fit my taste.

However, I do like the looks of the new High Desert. Not having a midgate isn't a super killer for me, but I am confident that I will always own an AV even if it's just an older one that I keep around for GTG's and occasional driving.

I use our midgate a few times a year, but honestly the AV for me is more about the ride, comfort, and still retaining the abilities to haul things when I need to. Otherwise, a Suburban would suit my needs just fine.

High desert looks great but it would have the same issues as other pickups - not a very nice ride compared to the Suburban/YukonXL/Avalanche platform.

Bummer.

Back