• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

09 Replacement License Plate Bulb 168LF vs 168LL

Frosty88

I have a 2009 LTZ Avalanche and recently I noticed one of my license plate bulbs was burnt out.

I went to my local auto parts store and looked through their parts book and found the replacement bulb they listed for my Avalanche was #168LL. They carried only Sylvania replacement bulbs so I bought a pack.

Today I changing the bulb but when I put the replacement bulb into the socket it wouldn't light up.

I looked at the older bunt out bulb and the part number on it was; 168LF.

I tried to google both part numbers to get more info and came up empty, so my question is, what's the proper replacement license plate bulb part number for an 09 Avalanche?

Thanks.

Maybe a dumb question, but did you try the other bulb from the working side?  That way you know if the socket works.  :)

When comparing the 2 different bulbs, do they look different?

After I tried the 168LL bulb which didn't work, I removed the other license plate socket to check the other bulb and since it was the one that was working I was going to try that bulb in the socket with the burnt out bulb, however...

once I got the socket out I saw the bulb was blackened and the socket looked burnt and the bulb was almost melted into the socket. It worked so I did not want to open a whole new can of worms right now so I just left it alone and put the socket back into the bumper housing.

It could be that the new replacement bulb I tried was defective, so the bulbs come in packs of two so I will try the other one because you know Murphy's Law and all that. If that doesn't work I will stop bye my local GM dealer and talk with the parts manager who's a buddy of mine to straighten this out.

Anyone have a line on a decent aftermarket source for LED replacement license plate bulbs in Canada?

check bulb with ohm meter to confirm it is good.

then check voltage in socket or at wires behind

Back