• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2009 Chevy Avalanche Front left turn signal stuck on

bograham2007

Front driverside (left) turn signal stuck on bright like it got stuck while flashing and stayed that way. All other lights work. Shut truck off and it stays on. Yes with the keys in my pocket and everything off its on bright as hell but not flashing. I checked socket and is  clean with no corrosion  bulb is not blown, unplugged multi functiom switch and stayed on. Turn indicators on dash flash normal while turn signal is on but the one that stays on does not flash
Any ideas ???? Will be greatly appreciated  :E:

bograham:

In answer to the question presented on another thread.........

Assuming the light turns off after 20 minutes?

So, if the BCM provides a circuit ground based on the position of a switch, what happens if the switch immediately fails?

What happens if the switch is removed from the circuit?  Not sure.

Few of these switches complete circuits, anymore.  The way I understand it, they request that a circuit be turned on, or off.

With my limited knowledge of BCM's, my gut feeling is that a portion of the multi-function switch is unable to communicate with the BCM.

This is exactly why I'm going to invest in a set of Helm manuals.  The '08 is getting up in years.  Believe I'm going to need it.  

bograham2007 said:
Light stays on until battery is dead i believe i will try the 20 minute trick when i get and post the results

So, does that mean your current battery is on its last legs?

No current battery is in excellent condition tried the 20 min trick before but actually timed it this time. 30 mins later light is still on. Bright as if it was blinking but not blinking if you understand what im saying the blinker filiment of light is lit. Been disconnecting battery after i drive it until i can figure out this issue.
Not much of an electrical guy but i'd tear down a motor or transmission without any problems  :laugh:

bograham2007 said:
No current battery is in excellent condition tried the 20 min trick before but actually timed it this time. 30 mins later light is still on. Bright as if it was blinking but not blinking if you understand what im saying the blinker filiment of light is lit. Been disconnecting battery after i drive it until i can figure out this issue.
Not much of an electrical guy but i'd tear down a motor or transmission without any problems  :laugh:

Feel your pain.

If it's not the BCM, seems like you would have to have "the" perfect short to get it to act this way.  Not comfortable speculating without a complete schematic.

Have you ever tried what some call a global reset?  With both battery cables removed, hold terminals together for at least 10 seconds.  Sometimes helps with BCM, climate control problems, etc.

There's a guy from Spartan Autoworx (St. Charles, MO) that posts on one of the other sites.  Bet he would have an opinion.

It'a pretty simple system, have you tried swapping the bulbs. See what lights flash when you turn on the hazards.

Attachments

• 09turns.GIF
    09turns.GIF
    39.8 KB · Views: 82

Attachments

• 09turns.png
    09turns.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 88
Have not swapped bulbs there a pain to get too maybe i will try that after work tommorow along with what Nick@Night said about the bcm reset . When the hazard button is pushed all lights come on and flash besides the one with the issue, its on and does not flash just really bright and steady on no matter what. Not trying to sound rude but to me a simple system would be controlled with a flasher relay.Maybe i havent adjusted yet from my older avy that hasnt given me any electrical issues.(knock on wood)  Any more opinions or info is much appreciated and i will take any advice that is given.
Also turn signal socket is clean and free of corrosion

bograham2007 said:
Awesome  that helps out a lot will try tracing some wires tomorrow. If the bcm is bad does that have to be programmed by the dealership ?

If it comes to that.  Any more than one hour labor, then they're stealin'.

Don't forget you have a relay in the mix. They are very easy to swap.

Where is the relay that you speak of ? I been all over that truck in the dash, under the dash, in the steering column, in the fuse panel and under the hood.
As much as i was in there i feel like i might have violated her  :laugh:

bograham2007 said:
Where is the relay that you speak of ? I been all over that truck in the dash, under the dash, in the steering column, in the fuse panel and under the hood.
As much as i was in there i feel like i might have violated her  :laugh:

She'll forgive you.  They always do.

bograham2007 said:
Did the BCM reset this morning and still have the issue. I would be curious to check that relay if anyone knows where it is located.

Believe the flasher module (relay) exited stage right after 2006; so, the NNBS'ers probably won't find a "wealth" of useful knowledge regarding turn signal problems, & other isssues.  The BCM rules the roost.

If the BCM has taken over the flasher duties, what's left to consider?  That's why I was wondering out loud about "how" the BCM would behave, if the multi-function switch suddenly failed.  If there's another relay in the mix, then I missed it. 

One nice thing is you have a wiring diagram to work with.  Good luck!

I'm at my limit the manual does not tell you where it is. from the diagram there is one for each side.
I suspect it is under the fuse box circuit board so it's probably dealer time

Changed bulbs tonight still had the issue
Notice with the blinker flashing i can here clicking in fuse box under hood but No relay and cant pin point clicking
I was at my limit try to get to bulbs what a P.I.T.A
Do you know if having a light out could cause this issue just wondering

Could be a bad flasher module assuming they still have in 2009.

The lights in the dash on 2006 and older are driven from the BCM which looks at the lights but not sure what would happen if the relay/flash module had an internal short. Could be moisture related too especially if you have a sunroof and one of the front drains is plugged.

Rodney

bograham2007 said:
Changed bulbs tonight still had the issue
Notice with the blinker flashing i can here clicking in fuse box under hood but No relay and cant pin point clicking
I was at my limit try to get to bulbs what a P.I.T.A
Do you know if having a light out could cause this issue just wondering

Well, the net is closing.

Read plenty of reports that black, rectangular flasher modules used to be mounted on the back-side of the fuse block, located on the driver's side of dash.  Decided to have a look-see:

Removed dash panel, below the steering wheel.

Removed cover from fuse block, on side of dash.

Using screw driver, depressed 2 mounting tabs, then pulled fuse block from side of dash: (drum roll)

No modules on back of block.

So, with the fuse block & BCM in plain view, turned ignition to "ON," then engaged turn signal.

Could hear the turn signal, but the sound wasn't coming from the fuse block, or BCM.  It was a sound effect, that appeared to be emanating from the front-door speaker.

Popped the hood: A clicking could be heard, but it didn't appear to be coming from any of the relays in the underhood fuse block.  More like it was coming from beneath the block.

As crazy as all this may sound, it actually backs up what's been chronicled  in many internet posts:  No one can find the modules.  No one can figure out where the sounds are coming from.

Wanted to remove underhood fuse block, but it's 10 degrees outside.  Will have to wait for warmer weather.

With all of that out of the way, let's re-consider the diagram that was thoughtfully provided.  The hidden lines on the schematic suggest there's something lurking beneath the underhood fuse block.

Whether it's a traditional type of relay, or an electronic noise maker, it's probably worth looking into.

Worked on truck for 2 hours tonight to no avail
All fuses are good. Not sure where to go next printed out the wiring diagram that was provided but cannot read it very well. May have to invest in a shop manual last night i got it to flash fast on the rear while the front stayed solid on. Not sure what caused that. Going to try to make room in my garage where there is some heat. Supposed to be 19 degrees as the high for the next couple days.  (n)

bograham2007 said:
Worked on truck for 2 hours tonight to no avail
All fuses are good. Not sure where to go next printed out the wiring diagram that was provided but cannot read it very well. May have to invest in a shop manual last night i got it to flash fast on the rear while the front stayed solid on. Not sure what caused that. Going to try to make room in my garage where there is some heat. Supposed to be 19 degrees as the high for the next couple days.  (n)

That's why I have a factory (Helm) manual set coming.  The online diagrams become pixelated, when I zoom in.  Look blurry when they're printed.  In 2012, price for the '08 was $400.  Now, it's $250.  Had to jump on it.  The factory manuals have served me well, in the past.

Give your vehicle & brain time to thaw out, then go after the low-hanging fruit, first.

Knowing what I know, I would discconnect battery, then pull underhood fuse block to see if wiring &/or components look good.  There's clicking/ticking coming from somewhere on the block.  Would want to know what it is.

If everything looks and/or tests good, would perform some simple voltage drop tests to verify integrity of the wiring.

If everything looks/tests good,  I'd find a multi-function switch at a junk yard, then plug it in to see if problem improves.

After that, it's BCM time.

You're actually very close to finding a solution.

I hear you . I've been a member since 2008 of CAFC and have always trolled around. Realizing the nice part about these forums now that i need help, ive been trolling and trying to give my opinion on things since now i know how vital it is in the success of the D.i.Y mechanic. As always the help, opinions and comments are greatly appreciated.
Looks like i will be driving ol' blue (02 indigo blue z71 avy with 270k) the wife told me to sell it but i just could not part with it  :D
Will update on the things i try as i go.

You guys do know you can get access to the Helms service manual online for 20 bucks for 3 days. It covers every GM product since 1998

MS03 2500 said:
You guys do know you can get access to the Helms service manual online for 20 bucks for 3 days. It covers every GM product since 1998

For me, when referencing & cross-referencing.......there's no substitute for the hard copy (when I own the vehicle.)  Everyone's different.

Had the CD version for the 2002 LeSabre.  Ended up purchasing the manuals.

Wish they still offered the wiring diagrams in a seperate supplement.  The aspect ratio was more landscape, than portrait - sort of like a ledger.

Back