• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Automatic Climate Control - not the usual problems

fallflight

Hi All

I had my climate control malfunction about 8 years ago and I replaced the aspirator up in the headliner. My vehicle is kind of doing the same thing, so this morning I bought another aspirator and installed it, there was no change.

The facts:

2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71
Automatic climate control, not dual zone
Has temp settings like 68,74,82 which you can set and it will keep temp according to your preferences

The issue:

When I set the temperature to 74,? it maintains 51? in cabin, when I set the temperature to 82?, it maintains 55?. This means that the fan will blow and hot air comes out until it reaches that temperature, and the fan slows down. I don't think it is a blend door issue. Has anybody else had this problem, is the climate control module bad? Any thoughts you can give me will help me to diagnose.

Regards,

Fallflight

Sounds like an issue with one of the sensors in your truck. Last time I looked there were quite a few sensors in the cab. have you changed radios lately? Or done something in the dash?

Might require trip to the dealer to isolate which sensor is bad. They should be able to pull up the sensor temps on their scanner and see what one or more are bad.

Rodney

I changed the radio about 5 years ago other than that everything is stock. I wonder where the other sensors are? Is there any schematic that I could reference before taking it to the dealer?

Started acting up about 3 weeks ago

Thanks in advance,

Seems like when I looked before there were at least 6 different sensors in different locations. Just a number I am throwing out. Since I don't have the system I didn't pay THAT close of attention. Was far more than 1 or 2 though.

I asked about the radio because I would pull out the HVAC module and inspect the connections. I know I had to pull mine out when I removed the radio to get to the wires behind the radio.

I don't have the time to look right now with this being Finals week but I suggest taking to the dealer. They should be able to troubleshoot quickly. They should be able to hook up a diagnostic tool and look at the sensors and see which one is not right. Don't know for 100% sure but from what I have seen so far I suspect this should be the case.

Not to mention they likely can point to the component right away. Unless you get lucky and someone on the forum knows these well. You can also do a google search for GM trucks since this is far from an avalanche only system.

Back