• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Spray in Bed Liner

DOGZ

Howdy, got a 2013, came with the rubber mat in the back. wonder if anyone has done a spray in liner in their av's? I was thinking the bed & up the sides, not sure about the tailgate, has a plastic cover, same with mid gate & sides. Pro's/cons?

Other older threads discuss this mod and most feel it's not necessary and you may have some issues with spray clogging up the drains in the bed. You may also experience the problem of the sprayed in liner peeling off the plastic sides depending on what brand of bed liner you use. Professionally installed products like Line-X that is applied with heat may adhere best compared to a do-it-yourself roll on job.
The factory mat is expensive but very durable and is considered a part of the "water management system" of the AV.

The rubber is great in that you can also take it out and hose it off.  Very nice product!

At first, I didn't like the rubber mat either.  Then, I took it out to give it a scrub and found that it is very heavy duty.  I'm beginning to like it more and more.

I will be doing bedliner in my truck BUT will be removing the size boxes prior to doing this... If you pull off the side boxes you may find as I did that they rub against the fenders and can cause it to rust through. I just used some rattle can black paint and covered mine since it is under the boxes.

The boxes themselves are all plastic for the most part.

If you want to remove the sides you will have what looks like a conventional truck bed behind them. To remove it you need to remove the pull handles, the saddle bag tops, the vents in the front with the bolts under neath. You MAY have to remove the inside sail panel as well.

Once those are removed you unbolt the pull hooks inside the bed, 4 total and one bolt inside the saddle bag for the closure hook.

Then they come right off. Just be mindful of the rubber rain track that sits ontop of the rail. It will stay attached to the truck as it is part of the window surround. Lots of silicon there. I just pulled mine up off the rail and let it hang in the bed.

But if you are going to go through the trouble of bedlining that would be the only way I would suggest it. The plastic panels really don't need it. And if you decide to do so later you CAN remove the plastic panels and just have them done. Takes about a half hour to pull all of the plastic pins out and the 4 hold downs to be able to remove it. I believe I have pictures of mine in my "knight rider" thread.

Rodney

Hi Just following up on this post. I'm a new 2002 avalanche owner. I'm wondering if anyone has applied bed liner to the bed of their avalanche and removed the cargo mat. I understand the cargo mat is part of the drainage system and it is extremely heavy due and weather resistant however it is very hard to just slide things in the bed of the truck. I am considering bed lining the bottomed and up the side a bit so that you can not see the paint just black bed liner and removing the mat. I see there is two set of drains on the side and in the back by they cab I plan to go around them and avoid clogging them. Even if I keep the mat I don't see how this could be a bad option even to protect it. if anyone has any feed back or experience on this, I would like to learn about it.

i would say if your main goal is to be able to slide things in and out easier, that a bed slide would be a good option. they can be vary cheap to build one yourself. there are several threads on here discussing them.

If you are looking to slide things in and out easier get a smooth desk chair mat with the little carpet nubs on the bottom. It says in place on the rubber mat and pretty well fills up the bed. It's easy to put in and take out. I also use two adjustable cargo bars I got on Amazon to keep things closer to the tailgate like groceries.

Attachments

• BedChairMat.jpg
    BedChairMat.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 9
If you are looking to slide things in and out easier get a smooth desk chair mat with the little carpet nubs on the bottom. It says in place on the rubber mat and pretty well fills up the bed. It's easy to put in and take out. I also use two adjustable cargo bars I got on Amazon to keep things closer to the tailgate like groceries.

That's brilliant! I built this bed divider that uses the existing slots in the bed sides to keep things close to the tailgate. The sides interlock into the divider, so it can be broke down into 3 pieces if I need to fit something big in the bed. After this picture was taken I painted it bright orange and cut out a bowtie and slots to lighten it and act as handles. (Which is exactly how the one in my Colorado was.) I do not have a picture of the Avalanche's bed divider after I got it painted.

Attachments

• IMG_20210302_170455833.jpg
    IMG_20210302_170455833.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20191106-113901.png
    Screenshot_20191106-113901.png
    798.1 KB · Views: 8
if things on mat are hard to slide ...

Then they are less likely to slide while driving....

CHoice is yours.

THings that stay still or things that fly around

Back