• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Looking at High Mileage 2008

MN AVY

Hello

New member here looking at a 2008 LTZ at a local dealership with high mileage (229K).

I have a 2005 with 205K on it now and still running good but rusty. I've given it to my son for college up in northern MN where 4wd is a real good idea.  Anyway I'm looking for a possible replacement and I stumbled across a 2008 on CL that a local Dodge dealer took in on trade.  There was no mileage listed but the pictures looked great and since it was close I went and took a look.  I was quite surprised to see it had 229K but is in fantastic shape for a MN vehicle with basically no rust.  The interior looks like the passenger seats have never been used and the drivers seat is in very nice shape for the miles plus bonus of non-smoker.  I've driven a few 07 & 08's so I do have a feel for how they ride and what others are like with over 100K.  This truck ran really well and drove smooth and tight with no rattles or loose suspension feel. 

The only issue I found was on cold start up(5 degrees out yesterday) that it had the typical Chevy 5.3 tapping sound of a high mileage motor but it was quiet and smooth when warmed up.  The transmission was replaced less than a year ago with a GM unit that has 2.5 years of warranty left on it.  Other than the motor I could find no glaring issues.

What does everyone think of this high a mileage 2008?  I think it was driven a TON of highway miles based on the condition and it had to be well maintained as well to drive as well as it does.
What else to really look for on the 2008's? 

I think the dealer is way overpriced at $12,400 and they have had it for a while as I watched it on CL for about a month now.  I'm thinking of low balling them at trade-in value (KBB) of around $9,000 to see if they bite.  I don't think these high mileage vehicles have people beating down the door to get them. 

It is really hard to second guess a vehicle that we can't see and touch ourselves. Dealerships are famous for the "put some lipstick on that pig" techniques to make a vehicle sparkle, just a good detailing job and maybe some oil and filter changes can sway many people. Question I would ask is, if the dealership has had it for awhile now why wasn't other people snapping it up? Maybe others saw something?
I would try to get it on a lift and look for undercarriage damage and rust as well as leaks.
If it was well maintained do they have the maintenance repair records from the previous owner? You might run the vin# through GM to see if any recalls were performed and check sites like CarFax but realize that those sites  will only have accident/flood and other repairs listed if it was performed at a reporting shop.
Good luck with your efforts.

Vaeagleav said:
It is really hard to second guess a vehicle that we can't see and touch ourselves. Dealerships are famous for the "put some lipstick on that pig" techniques to make a vehicle sparkle, just a good detailing job and maybe some oil and filter changes can sway many people. Question I would ask is, if the dealership has had it for awhile now why wasn't other people snapping it up? Maybe others saw something?
I would try to get it on a lift and look for undercarriage damage and rust as well as leaks.
If it was well maintained do they have the maintenance repair records from the previous owner? You might run the vin# through GM to see if any recalls were performed and check sites like CarFax but realize that those sites  will only have accident/flood and other repairs listed if it was performed at a reporting shop.
Good luck with your efforts.
I hear what your saying about tricks dealers use and I've driven plenty of dealer and private party vehicles to know when something is just not right.  The way the truck drove,  tight suspension and smooth is something that I believe cannot be just "lipstick on a pig", I'm thinking more well maintained.  Also most higher mileage trucks seem to have some type of rattles and noises but this one is pretty solid.  I agree with getting it on a lift to see the underside and I'd do that if I decide to proceed.  I'm good at wrenching and most mechanical stuff I can do but I'm just a bit nervous at 230K on the motor.
I'm still thinking I would not pay more than wholesale for that high of mileage truck.

I understand your concerns. It always ends up being supply and demand for pricing and other factors can come into play, the economy, gas prices (AV prices drop when gas is high), weather, things like snow can drive up demand for 4wd etc.
In Virginia a dealership has to have a state inspection when it arrives on lot so sometimes you can use that as a negotiation tool since you can see the sticker and see which vehicles have been on the lot the longest and in turn dealership may want to get rid of an older vehicle. Not sure if you have that in your state though. I told that to car salesman one time and within a week they had all their vehicles reinspected to get rid of that tell.
Sounds like you have found a nice Av. Maybe if you read threads on this site about high mileage owners you will get more confidence? Even with worse case scenario and you have to rebuild or replace the motor you will still have a vehicle that should last a long time and is cheaper then a new truck.....

Since I don't own a Gen2 model, I'm curious about the issues with the active fuel management and a truck with that high mileage. I'd be less concerned with a 2002-2006 model at 200K. (I almost have one!)

PerfectReign said:
Since I don't own a Gen2 model, I'm curious about the issues with the active fuel management and a truck with that high mileage. I'd be less concerned with a 2002-2006 model at 200K. (I almost have one!)
I agree.  My 2005 with 205K on it runs perfect with no oil burning or leaking issues at all.  I'm thinking if a 2008 had an oil problem it would have been an issue before now but I don't have any experience with the AFM so I was hoping there would be some opinions here.

MN AVY said:
I agree.  My 2005 with 205K on it runs perfect with no oil burning or leaking issues at all.  I'm thinking if a 2008 had an oil problem it would have been an issue before now but I don't have any experience with the AFM so I was hoping there would be some opinions here.

That's the thing you don't know if it is an issue on this particular one.  Of course the dealer will tell you it doesn't use a drop haha

Went to the dealer again yesterday to take another look.  I saw on line early this past week that they dropped their price to $9700 getting closer to wholesale price.  When I got there the truck was still on the lot but the sales guy could not find the keys.  The manager told him the truck was going off to wholesale auction and they were not actively trying to sale the truck any longer.  I was told I could still buy it "as is" which I assumed anyway and they let me take it for another spin. My wife came along and liked the truck so I have cleared that bar.  I know with the Holiday weekend the truck is going nowhere until Monday at the earliest so I told the sales guy I wanted to do a bit more research.  He called me last night before they closed and said the truck was still there and I told him Monday I would like to come in a make a deal.  KBB trade value is $7K-$9.3K so I have a good idea on what they are hoping for at auction.  I'm going in at a low offer of $8.5K and will move to $9K max.  I don't need the truck so if they say no I'll find another Avalanche elsewhere.
One unknown to resolve before I make an offer is to get the truck into their shop on Monday morning to warm up. The AC would not turn on as the temp was below freezing when I tried to check it out, the snowflake would flash 3 times and go out.  Sales guy will pull it in and have it ready for me on Monday when I come in.
After the test drives and inspections the only faults the truck has that I can find are the high mileage and a "Service Park Assist"  I can live with that as the backup camera works great.

If AC flashes 3 times and goes out it is likely bad. Since the AC is used during the defroster cycle it should be running no matter how cold it is.

No matter what else is said, your taking a gamble on this truck. I bought my '03 in 2010 with 186k miles on it. In the 6 years and now with 263k miles my truck has had the transmission, transfercase and rear end rebuilt. The transmission was slipping a little but the other two I did because of the high mileage and found out the rear end actually had been grenaded before and never properly fixed until I did it. I am now looking at replacing the motor due to coolant disappearing.

My truck was in similar condition. No apparent interior wear, no rust.

Other than minor repairs beyond what I already mentioned I haven't really had many issues and with a used replacement motor and reinstalling the interior my truck would be worth in the neighborhood of 7k-8k. Would I do it again? Probably, The dealer gave me a 1 year extended warranty. And if the truck was under 200k miles you could have purchased an extended warranty too.  Just be aware to expect some maintenance items with a truck that high of mileage and have some money set aside to repair the unexpected. But otherwise if you are comfortable with the truck no real reason to be scared of it for the right price.

The A/C snowflake flashing has been discussed before.

The A/C compressor shuts off at a certain low temp and the light flashes to indicate the compressor is not running.

I believe this is also discussed in the manual.

This is copied from my manual:

Pressing this button when the outside temperature is too cool for air conditioning to be effective will make the snowflake symbol flash three times and then turn off to let you know that the air conditioning mode is not available. If the air conditioning is on and the outside temperature drops below a temperature which is too cool for air conditioning to be effective, the snowflake symbol will turn off to let you know that the air conditioning mode has been canceled.

I can only assume that other model years follow the same procedure.

EXT4ME said:
The A/C snowflake flashing has been discussed before.

The A/C compressor shuts off at a certain low temp and the light flashes to indicate the compressor is not running.

I believe this is also discussed in the manual.

This is copied from my manual:

Pressing this button when the outside temperature is too cool for air conditioning to be effective will make the snowflake symbol flash three times and then turn off to let you know that the air conditioning mode is not available. If the air conditioning is on and the outside temperature drops below a temperature which is too cool for air conditioning to be effective, the snowflake symbol will turn off to let you know that the air conditioning mode has been canceled.

I can only assume that other model years follow the same procedure.
I read the same thing on line yesterday so I'm making the dealer bring the truck inside their shop to warm it up and then check the AC.  As luck would have it that my son is home for the holidays with his (mine) 2005 with the electronic HVAC control.  I tried to engage the AC and it did the 3 flashes and then shut off.  I know the AC works fine on this truck so I'm hoping for the best on the 2008. 

Ok I stand corrected but the AC does get used when the defroster is used?

I know in most every other GM vehicle I have seen that has AC they remove the moisture from the air with the AC then heat up the air. But I BELIEVE this to be JUST during the defrost mode. I will mention that in my truck the snow flake button does not light up when in defrost mode but the AC should still be used to remove the moisture. Unless they changed something with these trucks?

redheadedrod said:
Ok I stand corrected but the AC does get used when the defroster is used?

I know in most every other GM vehicle I have seen that has AC they remove the moisture from the air with the AC then heat up the air. But I BELIEVE this to be JUST during the defrost mode. I will mention that in my truck the snow flake button does not light up when in defrost mode but the AC should still be used to remove the moisture. Unless they changed something with these trucks?

As I understand it, not under a certain temperature.

I have never really cared for the way the auto system tends to choose defrost.

I find I have to set it myself.

So much for being auto.

One other thing I don't care for is the auto A/C system tends to NOT put the system in recirculation mode very often, but prefers to remain in fresh air mode unless heavy cooling is required.

I read where this was done to help prevent mold from growing in the system since fresh air does not do this as much as recirculated air.

So I generally just set my A/C in the summer at the lowest possible setting and tell the system to "Take that!!"

(y)

Back