• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

09 Avalanche Washer pump not pumping

JLM09LTZ

Ok, so I live in NE Ohio and the last few days have been in the low to mid 20's for highs. We have had two major snow storms in the last week or so that dumped about 14-16 inches of snow in the area. This past weekend, I ran out of washer fluid. It had been working fine up until that point. The "Low Washer Fluid" message came up, I ignored it, ran out of fluid as expected. Yesterday, I picked up a bottle of the -20 degree washer fluid from the gas station, dumped it in the (correct) reservoir, twisted the washer switch on the turn signal stalk, I can hear the pump pumping, but no squirts from the wipers. Weird...  I thought maybe it was some ice in the line or something, so I hopped on the highway and drove home (about a 30 minute drive at 70 MPH). Got home hoping that the -20 fluid defrosted the possible ice blockage, still no action. Hopped in the truck this morning, still nothing. I can hear the pump going, but just no fluid. I am going to take a look at it whenever I get a chance with work and holidays here, no real free time. I'm just curious, has anyone come across this issue before? If so, what was the fix?? I'm thinking about dumping a bottle of rubbing (Isopropyl) alcohol in there to see if that helps.

Any suggestions??

I had the fluid freeze at the nozzle (spray tip) on the wiper arm and freeze back into the supply line once a few years aro. I don't think driving would help if this is what happened to you also as the sprayer and the lines up the arms would still be exposed to low temp and high winds as you drive. I would check on that end. it might be your culprit.

in addition, the pump is easy to get to, you can reach up in behind the bumper brace and pull it off the reservoir. it's friction fit, no fasteners, you'll have to catch the fluid in there with something as it'll pour out if you pull the pump, but you could try raising a cup/small bucket/bowl  of hot water up to the pump to get it defrosted if the line is frozen, then re-prime the lines w/ the -20 washer before replacing the pump.

Thanks, I thought about the nozzles being blocked but I didn't see any on the wiper arms last night when I looked at them. (It was dark and and about 14 degrees so I didn't take a really CLOSE look). I will dump a bucket of hot water on it tonight and see what happens. Its above freezing right now so that should help.

Thanks again

UPDATE:

Just stepped outside my office to throw my phone on the charger in the truck and thought to try the washer fluid while I was out there, boom! we got squirts! Its about 33 degrees right now so I'm thinking the nozzles were frozen up and the warmer temps today helped to thaw them out.

Consider this one SOLVED

Back