• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Power Steering pump chirp

ARMYtango

Hey all,

I probably already know the answer to this, but thought I would throw it out there anyway and see if I get anything different.

I am hearing a loud chirp coming from (at least I THINK it is coming from) the power steering pump.  It increases with acceleration.

Is the pump on the way out...or is there something I can do to kill the noise?  It is loud and embarrassing.  :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Does it sound something like this?

I fixed my chirping noise with a new Goodyear Gatorback belt.

No other belt of any brand worked.

I tried several.

Test yours by lightly spraying some WATER from a spray bottle onto the grooves of the belt while the engine is running.

Do not waste your time and money with belt dressings.

If the noise goes away, I would try the Goodyear Gatorback belt first.

I would next have a look at the belt tensioner and idler pulley.

The power steering pump is not cheap and I would make sure the parts that cost less are in good shape first.

EXT4ME said:
Does it sound something like this?

I fixed my chirping noise with a new Goodyear Gatorback belt.

No other belt of any brand worked.

I tried several.

Test yours by lightly spraying some WATER from a spray bottle onto the grooves of the belt while the engine is running.

Do not waste your time and money with belt dressings.

If the noise goes away, I would try the Goodyear Gatorback belt first.

I would next have a look at the belt tensioner and idler pulley.

The power steering pump is not cheap and I would make sure the parts that cost less are in good shape first.
\
Yes!  That is the exact sound...and it gets faster with acceleration.

I will do that test that you mentioned, but I do already have a gatorback on there, and I had already replaced the tensioner pulley and the belt about 2 years ago, so I will look into the idler pulley next.

Thanks for the help, EXT

I replaced the tensioner and the belt in my truck when I did the water pump. Mine was making noise like that too but was apparently the bearings on the tensioner going out or the spring wasn't keeping it tight because new belt and new tensioner and all better.

Rodney

Back