• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Just when you thought the Big Block was dead along comes a 8.0L LFI

MS03 2500

PM 2017
PM 2015
SM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
http://www.gmpowertrain.com/engines/8l-lfi.html

It looks pretty healthy too

I'm liking it!  :B:
Now the question I have is:
Is this 8.0 litre a crate engine only? Or is GM actually bolting this into trucks currently being built?
Just curious.

CarMech1969

Right now it's listed as a industrial motor lol. I do not think they can put it in any thing because of the EPA, so I guess it's considered a crate motor. The one problem with the 8.1 putting out some serious power is the pistons. Next question is what tranny can ha?dle it.

I'll have to look into it a little more but they did do something with the piston and hopefully it can handle a supercharger now.

The specifications on that motor are a little confusing...

Says it will run on Propane, Natural Gas or Gasoline but the specifications say Gas and CNG for power output.

If one assumes Propane and CNG are the same BTU then the GAS and CNG ratings must mean Gasoline and CNG/LPG?

Also wondering what the big difference is on these when compared to say the ATK performance 6.0L that puts out 450+HP and 450+ft/lbs. Unless the big block has lots more room for power or the 6.0L needs about 5k to put out that power just not seeing that much of an advantage to the big block without major upgrades? 

Unless of course GM is highly under rating this motor?

Or unless I am missing something big...

It will probably also end up in big boats.  That's where I see the most big blocks these days.  Diesel can be hard to come by on the water.

It's a combination of new and old, but it's basically a 496 with a smaller bore and stroke with older stye Big Block heads with a little more cam. Nice to see forged crank but it still using crappy Hypereutectic pistons like the 8.1L, the weak link in the chain. Not sure if the used an older BB or the 8.1L block.

Better off building up an 8.1L..

The more I looked at it, it's a Gen 6 block.

I also saw that Origin engine may be making them for GM, they even made a 10.3 version

http://www.originengines.com/Engines/80LiterIndustrialEngine.aspx

Actually since it uses the 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3 firing order, has a reluctor wheel on the crank and coils on the valve covers it should work, just need to run a fuel injection manifold on it...

But still just build up a 8.1L.. Change the pistons and cam and the 8.1L would out perform it...

Did you notice it has the oil tubes that cool the bottom of the pistons like the supercharged LSA and LT4 small blocks.

Yes I did, that will definitely help keep the temps down.

Can you image if you mix and match parts for your 502 in the boat, Raylar is again selling the 2.9 supercharger.

Boat motor has Forged Steel Crank, H-Beam rods, JE Forged Pistons, Crane Cam 226/236 dur .587/.610 lift, Edelbrock Aluminum heads and of course the ProCharger, it really doesn't need anything more. Never been on the Dyno but putting the specs in DynoSim5, it makes around 800 Horsepower..

Oh snap :laugh:

My 2500 has been beaten to death with towing Big AZZ trailers over mountains. butI will never sell it.

I plan on keeping mine too..

It's still in great shape being a California vehicle (rust free). I have another 8.1L that I'm going to rebuild that will go in when needed or maybe sooner.. Just trying to figure out what trans to use, I want a six speed and TCI has one that uses the 4L80 case so it's a bolt in just have to figure out the wiring since it has to use their stand alone controller. Just have to remove the trans programing from the ECM and splice a few wires..

That's what the guys from Chevy performance pointed me to TCI when I talked to them at Dream Cruise.
GM makes a 4l85e supermatic that's good for 685 lb/ft I even thought about a Allison. The Supermatic sell for 3 grand minus the torque converter and you can probably get it for less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JFgaMLAp0w

I want. Hope they make it a crate engine.

Back