• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Power Door Lock issues on 2002

jrmcgove

I'm having a problem on my '02 where the power door locks intermittently won't unlock.  Sometimes it works fine for months and other times it doesn't work for months.  They always seem to lock fine.

They won't unlock with remote so I manually open driver or passenger door with key.  Then have to fiddle with the button on the door locking/unlocking a few times before they unlock.  I can hear they sound like they are trying to unlock, but they don't.

When I had my new remote start/keyless entry installed, the technician noted it (it was a problem I knew about before this).  He said it was common to get a short in a wire, particularly in the flex part between door and body.  He thought it was in the driver rear door because when he moved it around the locks started working.  I took this apart and all wires looked like brand new.

I have read a couple things about the actuators prematurely failing.  I can't see them all failing at the same time though.

Anyone ever see an issue like this?  Do I just need to check wiring in the flex tube on all the other doors for a short or worn through insulation?

Thanks in advance!

I had one that was frozen and I just lubricated the heck out of it with T-9 Bicycle chain lube and has worked great for 2 years since. The grease in them I think tends to get hard and doesn't lubricate anymore.

Assuming it is the same as in my '03 the whole mechanism is one piece. The door latch, lock, solenoid and sensor are all one piece. You MAY be able to separate different portions but they looked like they were riveted together on mine.

redheadedrod, thanks for the reply.  I will have to check into that.  I have already had to take apart the door latch mechanisms on all doors except the driver to get them moving freely and lube them up.  The doors weren't opening very well, I assume from lack of use.  It seems odd that all three would get sticky again at the same time in the door lock area though.  Still worth a look.

Did you lube with WD40? If you did then that is your issue...

WD40 is NOT a lubricant. Regardless of the label.  WD40 was the product name for "Water Displacement - 40th attempt". It is an ok Lubricant to get things moving again but will get real sticky once it dries and will attract dirt like crazy.

Not sure my Bicycle chain oil was the right stuff either but haven't had any issues in 2 years since I did it so keeping fingers crossed. Probably a waxy type oil that goes on wet and dries to a wax would be better. Would last much longer than the oil I used and be less likely to stick to dirt. Make sure to use a Lithium based lubricant to last.

Best thing I found lubricating electrical and things like door locks and latches is Boeshield T-9... Protects against corrosion and lubricates..

https://www.theruststore.com/Boeshield-T-9-12-oz-Aerosol-P3C20.aspx

Attachments

• T90012.jpg
    T90012.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 22
T-9 is what I use on my Bicycle chain and is the Bicycle chain lube I mentioned. All of the bike shops sell that stuff in my area.

Unfortunately, no perfect lubricant for all applications.

Got turned on to this, from another site.  Mechanics seem to love it.

Applied, once.  No squeaks or pops from entry doors for over three years.

Castle Muscle Grease

Back