• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Filling Tank and pump doesn't cut off spilling Gas

Intimidatoruag

had it happen to the wife twice now ... and finally happened to me tonight ...  :E:

trying to determine what needs to be replaced ...

Vapor Can. vent valve ... about 35 bucks from rock auto
Vapor canister purge valve hose ... $175 ... ouch
Vapor Canister  ... about $100 ....
vapor can. purge valve / solenoid about 25 bucks ...

has this ever happened to anyone else?  What did you replace to fix it?

John

Not sure of which part is needed in your case but sounds like parts replaced in many of the older threads about your problem and the reverse one of not being able to fill tank all the way up.
I have just decided years ago that the days of sticking in the nozzle and walking away is over with modern cars and I just fill tank manually regardless of the weather. I also don't let the tank get below 1/8th to prevent damage to AV gas pump or filter, or try to "top off" the tank when the auto shut off stops the flow to prevent damage to the parts you listed........Some have found problems at certain gas stations or pumps that flow quickly so they try another pump or station, they may also try only squeezing handle part way instead of full flow.
Good luck with finding a solution.

IF the gas nozzle does not shut off is that not a product of a bad nozzle and nothing to do with truck?

I mean when I fill my 5 gallon lawnmower gas cans the nozzle shuts off and has nothing to do with purge valves and the such....

Try a different station?

Are you holding nozzle or have it latched on?

Intimidatoruag said:
it has happened at 3 different gas stations .... using 3 different pumps ....

After the stuck vent solenoid is replaced, things will go back to normal; however, "some" pumps will remain problematic, until they are properly maintained.

It happened to me for a while too. I took it to my mech and he dropped the gas tank and fixed a vent hose that was kinked above the tank near the frame. It has been much better since then.

Back