• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2013 Black Diamond Edition

Bigntall1

Was browsing Autotrader and came across this 2013 Black Diamond edition not too far from where I live.  Wow the avalanches are definitely holding their values.  Was thinking about upgrading my high mileage 04 but can get a nicely equipped brand new Silverado for just a few dollars more.  I've always liked the black diamond editions and this one with the custom wheels is nice.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=39301&modelCode1=AVALNCH&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D39301%26modelCode1%3DAVALNCH%26showcaseOwnerId%3D3526658%26mmt%3D%255BCHEV%255BAVALNCH%255B%255D%255D%255B%255D%255D%26startYear%3D1981%26makeCode1%3DCHEV%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2017%26modelCodeList%3DAVALNCH%26searchRadius%3D100%26makeCodeList%3DCHEV&showcaseOwnerId=3526658&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&makeCode1=CHEV&firstRecord=0&endYear=2017&searchRadius=100&listingId=427301376&makeCode1=CHEV&modelCode1=AVALNCH

Bigntall1 said:
Was browsing Autotrader and came across this 2013 Black Diamond edition not too far from where I live. 

I camped just outside Meridian in late '81 while planting loblolly pine trees from there to Texas.

That Black Diamond is a loaded Z71 with only 60,000 miles, I think you'd be hard pressed to find an Avalanche like it with that low of miles with all the options for sale. I got 16,300 for my loaded Arrival Blue Z71 cladded w/55k miles from my insurance, I'd have asked at least $20,000 for it as it was a rare truck. Not quite as clean as that '13 looks but mine would clean up.

Flint4x4 said:
I camped just outside Meridian in late '81 while planting loblolly pine trees from there to Texas.

That Black Diamond is a loaded Z71 with only 60,000 miles, I think you'd be hard pressed to find an Avalanche like it with that low of miles with all the options for sale. I got 16,300 for my loaded Arrival Blue Z71 cladded w/55k miles from my insurance, I'd have asked at least $20,000 for it as it was a rare truck. Not quite as clean as that '13 looks but mine would clean up.

Meridian has changed a lot since '81. 
Yes I really like it.  I didn't know it was a Z71.  I just thought it was 4WD.  Thought the Z71s looked a little different with the fender flares and different front end.

greatgab said:
I LOVE my Black Diamond... but it does seem that they command a premium price.  :love:

Hate to spend $35k on a 4 year old vehicle.  I was thinking more like $30k but I seriously doubt they come down that much.

Add says it's a 4wd LTZ not a Z71.....
You are right in that a true Z71 would have factory wheel well flares and tube running boards, brushed aluminum interior trim not wood-grain and have a Z71 dash logo as well as different front trim and fog lights, suspension , spring and shock changes too.
One warning is that in later years you could get a 2wd Z71 so it became more of a cosmetic trim package then 4wd off-road.
I know $35,000 is a lot for a used vehicle but compare that to price of new LTZ at the time was close to $50,000 I believe. Then you could also compare this AV to the cost of a fully dressed 2017 High Desert Silverado (AV look alike without a midgate) which is probably going to be close to $60,000 or more.

Vaeagleav said:
Add says it's a 4wd LTZ not a Z71.....
You are right in that a true Z71 would have factory wheel well flares and tube running boards, brushed aluminum interior trim not wood-grain and have a Z71 dash logo as well as different front trim and fog lights, suspension , spring and shock changes too.
One warning is that in later years you could get a 2wd Z71 so it became more of a cosmetic trim package then 4wd off-road.
I know $35,000 is a lot for a used vehicle but compare that to price of new LTZ at the time was close to $50,000 I believe. Then you could also compare this AV to the cost of a fully dressed 2017 High Desert Silverado (AV look alike without a midgate) which is probably going to be close to $60,000 or more.

OAN: not a big fan of the high desert Silverado.  If chevy wanted the av features in the Silverado why not just bring back the avalanche.  I'm leaning more towards an All-Star edition or nicely equipped LT.  I do love the Silverado Midnight Edition.

Vaeagleav said:
Ad says it's a 4wd LTZ not a Z71.....

Not sure about newer models as I had an '02 I traded up for loaded '04 Z71 both GMT800 models

I think it said the Black Diamond had all the bells and whistles including 4WD, locking rear end and skid plates so I assumed it was a Z71. Not sure what else the '13 Z71 off-road included or if you could get that package with the Black Diamond. It's pretty close to a Z71 off-road which used to include different shocks and rugged floor mats.

Bigntall1 said:
Meridian has changed a lot since '81. 

After 36 years much has changed most everywhere, a few places remain that never seem to change.

The friends we made there were over 40 so must be 80 or so now if still alive.

I guess their pricing is pretty accurate.  Edmunds appraises it for $34k. I wasn't sure what the original wheels were so I selected the 22" Chrome being that this one has aftermarket 24s.
https://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/black-diamond-avalanche/2013/st-200443685/appraisal-value/tmv/

Flint4x4 said:
Not sure about newer models as I had an '02 I traded up for loaded '04 Z71 both GMT800 models

I think it said the Black Diamond had all the bells and whistles including 4WD, locking rear end and skid plates so I assumed it was a Z71. Not sure what else the '13 Z71 off-road included or if you could get that package with the Black Diamond. It's pretty close to a Z71 off-road which used to include different shocks and rugged floor mats.

The latter-day Z's lost some of their cache, in the marketplace.

Most of the emphasis seemed to surround Black Diamond, Texas, & All Star editions.  Believe the last two sported larger wheels.

Some owner/operators report there are no logos, or carbon fiber backgrounds on the Z-71 instrument panel.

Pretty sure you couldn't get power folding  mirrors.

I know the GMT800 '02-'06 better, the Z71 & Z66 had 17" wheels instead of 16"
Knew newer models a bit, I built Chevy/GMC Silverado/Sierra until I retired 01/01/17  :B:

Never rode in or drove one newer than my '04, never priced them out accept as a courtesy to assist people shopping GM products and/or asking me for a supplier discount code. Many used the discount as a bargaining chip, often got a better deal on GM or other brand products without it as they knew the art of 'haggling'. Dealers like to get top dollar on paper to increase kickbacks from manufacturer plus higher commissions to employees if they already own vehicles.

The trick is knowing where to make them give to lower your cost while still giving them a healthy profit. You can ask for more for your trade-in, low interest rate as they profit from loans too (don't tell them you plan to pay it off in one/two years, ask for lowest rate for longer and they smell $$$) or buy some add-ons

Cache was cost/value/utility, you could order most everything on the GMT800 'Z' separate.

Cost of Z71 package was close to or less  than cost of 4WD, G80 locker and skid plates. You got the Bilstein shocks, 1" bigger wheels, rugged floor mats thrown in free if you got a good price on a new 'Z' back then.

My understanding of the Z71 package is that it could not be used on LTZ trim level because of the Autoride air shock system. My 2010 Z71 Avy was a LT2. My 2013 LTZ is 4x4... but it didn't come with skid plates. I put some on of course!  (y)

The '13 listed said skid plates, doesn't mean it came with them. It has custom wheels too.

greatgab said:
My understanding of the Z71 package is that it could not be used on LTZ trim level because of the Autoride air shock system. My 2010 Z71 Avy was a LT2. My 2013 LTZ is 4x4... but it didn't come with skid plates. I put some on of course!  (y)

Wonder what's up with the new Silverado LTZ Z-71's? 

Caught me off guard, when I saw one advertised.

Nick@Night said:
Wonder what's up with the new Silverado LTZ Z-71's? 

I moved from the cab shop to sequence several years ago so only saw parts of the trucks.
I used to learn about model changes months ahead when we built pilots.
I was surprised when I learned here they dropped Z66, it's confusing at first.

A Z66 is now a Z71 and Z71 is a Z71 off-road so LTZ Z71 would be 2 WD w/locker and other items.

Flint4x4 said:
I moved from the cab shop to sequence several years ago so only saw parts of the trucks.
I used to learn about model changes months ahead when we built pilots.
I was surprised when I learned here they dropped Z66, it's confusing at first.

A Z66 is now a Z71 and Z71 is a Z71 off-road so LTZ Z71 would be 2 WD w/locker and other items.

I'm having a senior moment.......

Did you mean to say a Z66 is now an LTZ?

That is not a Z71, Z71 is a decor package on the gmt900

Nick@Night said:
I'm having a senior moment.......

Did you mean to say a Z66 is now an LTZ?

No, a Z66 is Z71. A Z71 became a Z71 off road.

Sort of, not sure where then LTZ trim package fits in.

They're all just option packages subject to change.

Z71 has always been an offroad package with items added/removed

Back