• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Steering problem

edh19

Happy new year all. I was wondering if anybody has this issue.i have a 2006 2500 av . when I drive around 30 mph and up I feel the truck wanders and when on highway passing vehicles tend to push me when they pass I didn't have that issue when it was new it has around 106000 miles on it and we replaced steering box dealer said steering is normal

You need to check all of the steering components i.e., ball joints, tie rods, idler arm etc.. With a 100k on it just a little play in each of these adds up to a lot of play. Mine was similar so I rebuilt the front end and no more wandering, straight as an arrow going down the road...

Idler arm. I had the same problem at around that mileage also.

My Avalanche 2002 Z66 has always wandered a lot more than I like due to crosswinds and road conditions. Tire wear has never been an issue I typically get 65000-70000 on a set of tires. The past last year I've been playing around with the front end alignment to see if I could improve the steering. My last alignment made a huge improvement. Current settings are 3.5 degrees caster, 1/2 degree negative camber, and 1/4 toe in. These specs made a huge difference in the steering and resistance to cross winds and grooved roads.
'

Take a look at this video when I grabbed the center link sure enough it was moving. The super steer brace kit fix it. The video is for a 2500 but the 1500 gen 1 have the same issue. I'm assuming the tires are good and properly pressured  up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTPJu1pbzyk

Back