• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Dual Exhaust

MTCobra

A co-worker of mine, who is huge Chevy nut, is trying to convince me to put dual exhaust on my truck. He says I can do it for about $200. The Angel on one shoulder says to leave things alone and the Devil on the other shoulder is saying to do it. Thought I would reach out to you folks to get your opinions. Is it worth it? Pros? Cons? Detract from Value of the vehicle? Etc...

I appreciate this...I am sure it has already been posted, but I don't have time to go through all the posts.  :D

Jake

I put a dual set up on mine.  I don't think it detracts from value...it is more of a preference.  Do you like the look of it?  If you get a performance muffler also, what type of sound would you like it to sound like?  Just questions you will want to ask yourself if you decide to do it.

You need to take the time and read some threads if you want to do it right and get the right performance you are looking for. You should consider that there is a difference between sound and performance and just making it noisier will not necessarily make it faster. Are you talking about just making cat back changes to the exhaust or are you looking at a true dual setup with headers and no crossover or Y pipe? Do you plan for the exhaust to exit out the back or sides?
Some exhaust are set up for maximum H.P. at high rpm but that usually comes at the expense of low end torque which is what you need on a 6,000 lb. truck like an AV. Some exhaust also have a constant drone in the cab at cruise that may drive you or your family members nuts. The $200 muffler setups usually aren't stainless steel and will rust out in just a couple of years so either you have to accept replacements every so often if you live in a rust belt area or you may want to save your money and get a liftetime stainless steel cat back setup that was designed to maintain the performance and have good sound like a Corsa Sport system or Magnaflow.

Thanks for the inputs..I appreciate it. To be honest, I haven't given the setup much thought as I am still on the fence about it. If I could do this once and not worry about replacements every couple of years, that would be nice too. My buddy says I can increase horsepower, but didn't say how much. He says it will also sound meaner.

I have to admit that the horsepower addition would be nice, but it seems to be fine the way it is. And I have been doing 70+ before and had to give it some juice and it sounds wicked the way it is.

I guess I will give it some more thought before I make any decisions.

Thanks all!

I was originally planning to install a Corsa system because I tow a travel trailer and didn't want constant drone sound while traveling.  But then last fall, Summit Racing had a great rebate deal on a cat-back stainless steel Dynomax Ultra Flo welded exhaust system part#39442.  This single exit system lets you know it's there at start up and acceleration, but when you are cruising above 65 mph all you notice is a pulsing sound from the V8 to V4 transition on my 2007 Avalanche. 

The best part is that after rebate, the cost was around $350 compared to $750 plus for Corsa.  I have another car at home with a 15 year old Dynomax system, so I wasn't concerned about durability at all.  I am very pleased with choosing this system for the Avy.

I just installed a dual exhaust system to my "02 - 2500.  I have pics of the factory exhaust and the replacement Magna Flow system - I just can't figure out how to post them - I can post the Google pics link, but not the actual pics on the forum. ????  I'll try again in a little while.

jbrnigan said:
I just installed a dual exhaust system to my "02 - 2500.  I have pics of the factory exhaust and the replacement Magna Flow system - I just can't figure out how to post them - I can post the Google pics link, but not the actual pics on the forum. ????  I'll try again in a little while.
I believe you need more posts on this site to be able to post photos directly. What some do is get a photo sharing website posting and post a link to the photo in your thread here.

Information on posting photos here:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,109293.0.html

Stock inlet and outlet '02 - 2500

Attachments

• Stock inlet web.jpg
    Stock inlet web.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Stock outlet.jpg
    Stock outlet.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 74
Replacement Magna Flow duals '02 - 2500

Attachments