• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Whats the story with the oil pressure switch

I have a 2002 1500 z71 with 304k and have been leaking about a quart plus of oil per month for about 10 months. Is the oil pressure switch possible of leaking this much? I had the main seal replaced the when i had my trans rebuilt for the second time, no change. :help:

I haven't heard of a leak coming from one of those but it sees full oil pressure so it would be possible I think.

My hands are rather on the large side and I have difficulty laying them on the switch - when I changed mine a few years ago my wife had to do it - either that or I had to remove the intake manifold.

If you can get your hands on it and feel around, or see it with an inspection mirror or camera, then you could determine if there's oil around it.  It's between the intake manifold and firewall, on top of the block, driver side.  Two wire plug going into the back of it.

i found it rather easy to get to, but I do not have large hands.  Easy to get to, but you won't be able to see what you are doing, have to go by feel.  I changed my sensor/switch as well, but it was not the source of the leak... it was the valve cover gaskets.  Thought mine was rear main as well, but it was not...    once again, i'd bet money its your valve cover gaskets-- and the leak won't be visible from the top...

I have replaced several switches that monitor fluid pressure that brake down and do leek oil. The last two were on my wife's PT Cruiser. First was the low idle power steering, just change the oil pressure switch. The oil light would come on randomly and the low idle would throw codes.
I just changed my oil switch in the AVY not to long ago. I have big hands gave blood. The worst I had was to get the switch unplugged. The way it was turned hard to get to the release. Did not see any evidence of the switch leaking.     

Apparently there is a screen inside the socket that the oil sensor goes into that can be plugged as well. Believe it to be just a diaphragm pushing against a sensor so it can certainly leak but valve covers are more likely.

@jvzl1  - I will be replacing the heads on my 5.3 in the near future and my oil pressure sensor has never worked but looks to be in a bad place for big hands.
Do you think without the intake and head in place that the sensor becomes much easier to access?

Rodney

Yes, it's easy without the intake in the way Rodney... Number 50...

Attachments

• 53L2.JPG
    53L2.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 60
Thanks Randy, one of the benefits of big hands is the strength that goes with it but really sucks when going into tight places...

I thought it might make it easier but wasn't sure.

Rodney

I found a little trick about this remove the driver side valve cover.

BTW only flex fuel motor have the filter under the sensor.

MS03 2500 said:

100% sure?  If AFM was substituted for Flex, would buy-in.

MS03 2500 said:

Ok, I saw the screen mentioned elsewhere and didn't realize it wasn't on all engines.

@jvzl1  - I will be replacing the heads on my 5.3 in the near future and my oil pressure sensor has never worked but looks to be in a bad place for big hands.
Do you think without the intake and head in place that the sensor becomes much easier to access?

Rodney
[/quote]

Should of kept reading just a little late.

[shadow=red,left] Well with the intake and heads of the top of the block will be exposed.  You are going to have major access.  (y)
I considered taking my intake off some on you tube did.  
There is you tube that shows removing the vacuum line for the brake assist if you have.
Also there were some other things to remove to make it easier.
Site and switch turned were back biggest hold ups.  
[/shadow]

Back