• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Gear Selector

JVZL1

PM 2024
PM 2023
PM 2022
PM 2021
PM 2020
PM 2019
PM 2018
PM 2017
PM 2016
PM 2015
PM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
Tried searching here and other places. There is a lot about replacing/adjusting cable
but no real talk of my dilemma.
I?ve had the lights out on my cluster for the gear indicator for some time. Just trying
to decide the way I want to go. So it has been getting harder to find gears, I could just pull
the lever out of park move the lever and let it toggle until it hit what gear I want.
First drive was getting harder to find it will have drive and it will not be in the slot, than I can
move the lever into its slot.
  Now the other day I parked, got back in the truck started it went to take it out of park. Well that
would have been a Kodak moment with WT@. It was not all the way in park. So before I jump out
forgetting and watch my AVY roll down a hill. 
Looking for places to start would this be the cable or is there something I should be looking at on the column.
Thanks for any input.
It?s just too cold to be out. Just looking for a starting point.

The PRNDL lights usually go out, due to cold solder joints.  

Find a good place to ship for cluster repair.  They should be able to council you on anything else that should be checked, first.

I spent almost $500 on getting my cluster fixed several years back.
The lights have been out for some time. Not worried about them just
can?t decide which way I?m going on the mods. There is something with
the shifter. It?s not going into its proper location.  Just trying to save
myself a step or two. It?s cold out there. I?m I looking at the cable or lever
on the column. I cannot find anything precise on my dilemma.

Sounds like it's in the column, but could be down at the switch on the trans, #10.. Good luck

Attachments

• 000524TC04-656.JPG
    000524TC04-656.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 63
Forgot they had shift cables in the olden days.

There's a ton of stuff out there, regarding similar issues & symptons.  Unfortunately, they all seem to be cable-related, one way, or the other.

Since the vehicle is up in years, it may come to this.  If so, vibe I'm getting is to not trust aftermarket, & don't forget the staple.

Shift Cable Replacement

My truck is also an '03.

The Gear shift is directly connected to the transmission. I am unsure if the sensor that tells which gear the truck is in is in the transmission or in the column. However there is NO cable on the dash. If your dash display is bad then you need your cluster redone.

If you paid $500 for your cluster you were WAY over charged.

dashdr.com charges ~$150 and gives lifetime warranty.

They did mine for $125 and my Mirror for $60. However I drive by the guys house every day on my way to work so I was able to drop it off and pick it back up. They can also do some custom stuff to your dash as well.

Rodney

There's an auto-adjust mechanism in the cable assembly - should be under the truck, under where the driver's seat is.  You can follow the cable from the driver's side of the transmission to find it.  It's likely that mechanism is either damaged or you need to reset it.  I've done it before but it's been a while.  You pretty much disconnect the cable at the mechanism, make sure the tranny is in park, the lever is in park, then reconnect.

redheadedrod said:
My truck is also an '03.

The Gear shift is directly connected to the transmission. I am unsure if the sensor that tells which gear the truck is in is in the transmission or in the column. However there is NO cable on the dash. If your dash display is bad then you need your cluster redone.

If you paid $500 for your cluster you were WAY over charged.

dashdr.com charges ~$150 and gives lifetime warranty.

They did mine for $125 and my Mirror for $60. However I drive by the guys house every day on my way to work so I was able to drop it off and pick it back up. They can also do some custom stuff to your dash as well.

Rodney

The fix was at a shop about 8 years ago. Like a lot of my early repairs until I found this site.
They sent the cluster out. So that is why I will be every grateful for this family of friends and support.
Why I have not fixed the cluster I want do it myself and have not decided on the mod.
I duly appreciate all the help I get from all members on this site. 

Enoniam Thanks.
Well the more I search leads to the cable. I?ve seen the adjustment, cable replacement,
one showed a grommet they made where the cable connects to the tranni. So hopefully
next weekend I get under and start at the cable. Still not that big of a deal to pull the
plastic off to check the lever. Just me sometimes I get going and find ?O? did not need to
go there. So that is why I search here for the advice of everyone that puts in.
Saves giving blood, time and money.   

I had an issue with my truck one day... Would not shift and the shifter was loose in my hand. Tow truck driver came out and ended up climbing under my truck and looked at the linkage. He told me there is a plastic clip in the end of the shifter that goes to the transmission and told me he has seen quite a few pop out. So if it wasn't fully in the hole....

Rodney

redheadedrod said:
I had an issue with my truck one day... Would not shift and the shifter was loose in my hand. Tow truck driver came out and ended up climbing under my truck and looked at the linkage. He told me there is a plastic clip in the end of the shifter that goes to the transmission and told me he has seen quite a few pop out. So if it wasn't fully in the hole....

Rodney

Maybe that is the grommet the guy made for the end of the cable. I will keep up dating as I go.

Sperry Tec.
Missed this one. Range Selector lever cable adjustment
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,137772.0.html

Here is a picture of my old shifter cable after it was removed:

Notice the broken plastic piece on the transmission end.

In my case, I believe this was broken when my mechanic over flexed the cable while removing my transmission during the rebuild.

Everything worked fine for a full day after I picked up my truck from the shop, but when I got home at the end of the day, I could not shift into park.

Probably different than what you are seeing, but I thought you might get something out of seeing the pictures of the cable.

Good luck with your repair.

Back