• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Air bag issue. What do I need to fix?

Piranha-z

2010 Z71 4x4

So I just noticed this winter that when I hook up my trailer when the truck is running, the air bags fill up like they should to level the truck with the weight on it. When I shut the truck off, they go down and it looks like the truck is squatting. As soon as I start the truck they air back up and seem to hold (or I thought they were).

So we were coming back from our trip and we stopped to get fuel. Never shut the truck off but noticed the truck was sagging and the chains had been dragging. I shut the truck off and restarted it. The compressor kicked in and raised the truck again.

My question is this: What do I need to fix? I can't have this thing lowering down when I'm driving down the freeway! My first thought is that the lines are leaking and the comp[ressor normally kicks in to keep it level, but the fact that it dropped down while driving ruins that theory.

Any suggestions? I really don't want to take it to a dealer either. Would like to fix it myself if possible. Where do I start.

Thanks!!!

I would start by checking the linkage for the unit. Thought there was an arm that moves in a sensor that detects the height. It is possible this sensor is damaged or bent?

redheadedrod said:
I would start by checking the linkage for the unit. Thought there was an arm that moves in a sensor that detects the height. It is possible this sensor is damaged or bent?

I can look. Am I right in thinking that the air bag should stay inflated even when the truck is shut off? If that is the case, I am guessing a line or bag is leaking.

It should stay inflated...as long as your compressor unit is working correctly.  I would check the lines for leaks, and if those are ok, I would replace the compressor unit.  The compressor unit has a relief valve which can go bad.  I had a similar situation...replaced compressor and everything works great.

Gold07Avalanche said:
It should stay inflated...as long as your compressor unit is working correctly.  I would check the lines for leaks, and if those are ok, I would replace the compressor unit.  The compressor unit has a relief valve which can go bad.  I had a similar situation...replaced compressor and everything works great.

Thanks!  I'll start there.

Does anyone know what the P/N is for the replacement air lines? I can't find anything on gmpartsdirect. Haven't called the dealer yet as I would rather buy and install myself.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Back