• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

~Your Opinion, Please~

RevRichmond

OK guys... simply: do you have any experience with the following few tires and if so, what's your conclusion on which would serve me best??:dunno: I don't really go off road too much anymore... perhaps a lil camping.  

Cooper HT Plus ~ Cooper Discoverer SRX ~ Continental CC LX20 ~ Yoko Geolander H/T G056

:drive: I'm highway/freeway a lot, I'm living in the moderately hot and mostly dry-ish SE corner Washington State (Tri-Cities) where we happen to just get the most snow in the last 15-20 years (so I hear; I've only been here 1 year.)

WHAT YOU THINK??? I really do appreciate your input.  :love:

I must admit I'm still running around on the factory installed tires, which see ok, but I'm waiting for the day when I can change them out.  I run about half the year on Michelin winter tires, but the "non winter" ones I think I want are the Cooper Discoverers.  I have read a good deal about them, and I'm impressed.

Sorry, this probably does not help much because I can't give you any first hand experience.  But I'm pretty sure that when the time comes, I'll get a new set of these Coopers.

Michael

Really can be personal opinion. My experience has been that Coopers are cheap tires and don't hold up. You will never make it to their rated mileage. I have had 2 sets of them and had to replace them due to broken cords or other issues.

I do live in Michigan which has some of the worst pot holes in the nation so your mileage may Vary... (Literally and figuratively)

Rodney

I?ve ran Cooper for years on all my vehicles. I do run two sets of tires on my AVY.
I run snow specific when needed in the Portland area and when I rune east.
You all so need to look at what side wall rating D or E if you are towing.
How aggressive of tread you want for your Avy. My dailies at this time are Discoverer S/T MAXX.  

The past few years I?ve ran Nokian Hakkapeliitta studded they are snow specific
tires and I relay like them. This is something you should consider living in God?s country.
You get the snow, ice and the WIND coming down the gorge and the northeast. The thing is there is no real
all season tires especially when you are dealing with all the elements you have.
Just my .2.
Have you registered in Regen V yet?

strange said:
I must admit I'm still running around on the factory installed tires, which see ok, but I'm waiting for the day when I can change them out.  I run about half the year on Michelin winter tires, but the "non winter" ones I think I want are the Cooper Discoverers.  I have read a good deal about them, and I'm impressed.

Sorry, this probably does not help much because I can't give you any first hand experience.  But I'm pretty sure that when the time comes, I'll get a new set of these Coopers.

Michael

Thanks, Michael.

redheadedrod said:
Really can be personal opinion. My experience has been that Coopers are cheap tires and don't hold up. You will never make it to their rated mileage. I have had 2 sets of them and had to replace them due to broken cords or other issues.

I do live in Michigan which has some of the worst pot holes in the nation so your mileage may Vary... (Literally and figuratively)

Rodney

Thanks some good information. I appreciate it.

JVZL1 said:
I?ve ran Cooper for years on all my vehicles. I do run two sets of tires on my AVY.
I run snow specific when needed in the Portland area and when I rune east.
You all so need to look at what side wall rating D or E if you are towing.
How aggressive of tread you want for your Avy. My dailies at this time are Discoverer S/T MAXX.  

The past few years I?ve ran Nokian Hakkapeliitta studded they are snow specific
tires and I relay like them. This is something you should consider living in God?s country.
You get the snow, ice and the WIND coming down the gorge and the northeast. The thing is there is no real
all season tires especially when you are dealing with all the elements you have.
Just my .2.
Have you registered in Regen V yet?

Hey man, thanks. I don't toe. :D How have those Maxxs worked out for ya? I won't get those though since I don't really need 'em. I don't really want an aggressive tread; I just want quality, quiet and good all-season performance, considering all the things you listed that we gotta put up with over here in, indeed, God's country.

I ran a set of Cooper Discoverers early on. They got descent traction in the beginning, but didn't last much more than 30k miles. And didn't look aggressive enough for me ever.

I'm running BFG All-Terrain TA KO2s now. Look great, awesome traction in all conditions, quiet, supposed to get over 50k miles. Two thumbs way up.    (y) (y)

Were they the SRXs?? There's several Discoverer sub-models.

AirJunky said:
I ran a set of Cooper Discoverers early on. They got descent traction in the beginning, but didn't last much more than 30k miles. And didn't look aggressive enough for me ever.

I'm running BFG All-Terrain TA KO2s now. Look great, awesome traction in all conditions, quiet, supposed to get over 50k miles. Two thumbs way up.    (y) (y)

I have heard great things about the Cooper HT's.. I actually have a set on order to put on my Summer Wheels since the Conti's are bald.

My tire shop guy highly recommended them.

Cooper HT's were what was on my truck when I bought it. They never were good tires. All 4 tires had issues even though the tread was less than 25% worn.

Suppose someone could have driven over a curb at high speed and possibly damaged them but they just didn't last.

RevRichmond said:
Were they the SRXs?? There's several Discoverer sub-models.
Probably not. It was several years ago. The point is that Cooper isn't known for making a great tire. If your looking for a less expensive tire, then they will fit the bill.

Got the SRXs. Quickly, so far, they're good. Better in snow than I had anticipated, too. I'll try to update in a month or so. :B:

Back