• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

I learned something new about AV wheels, but maybe not new for you guys.

ngrome

Most AVs, especially the Z71 with 4WD, have 17-inch wheels, but I didn't realize that was an option (at least on the original sticker it was listed as an added option), and the standard wheel size for the AV was the 16-inch wheel.  That figures why I see some AVs that look like they have a little lower profile, and especially the Z66's with the 16-inch wheels along with the lower road suspension. 

I kind of like the smaller lower profile, even on my Z71 (4WD doesn't work anyways, at least not yet).  Anyone using 16-inch wheels on their Z71's or any AV even if it has 4WD?

One thing that may be a problem for you down the road if you drop down to 16 inch wheels on a first generation Av is you won't be able to do the brake upgrade to second generation brakes.
Second generation AVs used 17 inch wheels stock with 18 inch rims on Z-71s and I believe 20 inch offered on LTZ models....overall circumference of tires the same just shorter sidewalls to allow for larger rims. So not sure you would gain much in lowering your Av with one inch smaller rims? You my be seeing AVs with aftermarket suspension lowering kits on them......

I run 16 inch wheels with my snow tires and like the look a whole lot better than factory 17 inch wheels.  PS, I also have an 01 XL7 you can see in the background.  I've been you over on the Zuk forums. 

I can't post the picture from phone.  I'll have to do it when I'm at my computer.

Vaeagleav said:
One thing that may be a problem for you down the road if you drop down to 16 inch wheels on a first generation Av is you won't be able to do the brake upgrade to second generation brakes.
Second generation AVs used 17 inch wheels stock with 18 inch rims on Z-71s and I believe 20 inch offered on LTZ models....overall circumference of tires the same just shorter sidewalls to allow for larger rims. So not sure you would gain much in lowering your Av with one inch smaller rims? You my be seeing AVs with aftermarket suspension lowering kits on them......
Not to thread jack. But I'm curious.
Knowing that I have an 02 is it worth it?? But also I though most Z66 came with 17s
That's the ONLY thing I didn't like about it as with most is the braking.

I?m a little confused here the difference is the wheel size. You will have less rim showing.
The tire profile makes the difference in stance. I run 17? stock rims with a 16? spare that is
the same profile of my 17?. I do that because of the G80.  If I have a flat I do not worry
about having two different size tires on the rear. Or putting the front on the rear and
having the odd size on the front. 

Here is the thread about doing the brake upgrade from first generation to second generation :

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,122524.0.html

On post #4 the author of the thread states that a 16 rim will not fit if the brakes are upgraded.

To add to my earlier post ngrome I would not spend the money to change rims, I would spend my money to fix 4WD and upgrade the brakes and if I wanted or needed a lowered AV I would do it through a good complete suspension lowering kit.

Those of us with a 2500 Avy didn't get an option. We ONLY got 16" wheels.

8-lug aftermarket wheels aren't remotely cheap either.

Joeairforce said:
Those of us with a 2500 Avy didn't get an option. We ONLY got 16" wheels.

8-lug aftermarket wheels aren't remotely cheap either.

There is always Hummer H2 wheels.

Hugz said:
Not to thread jack. But I'm curious.
Knowing that I have an 02 is it worth it?? But also I though most Z66 came with 17s
That's the ONLY thing I didn't like about it as with most is the braking.

Z66 came with 17" wheels.

It's my understanding that 16" will not fit a Z66 without grinding something (I forget what) because of the different suspension on the Z66.

grnxnam said:
Z66 came with 17" wheels.

It's my understanding that 16" will not fit a Z66 without grinding something (I forget what) because of the different suspension on the Z66.
The Z66 spare is a 16" wheel..... so not sure that is true.... (2002-2006)

ygmn said:
The Z66 spare is a 16" wheel..... so not sure that is true.... (2002-2006)

Hmmm... I thought there was a specific reason for the 17s.  Oh well... live and learn.

Yeah all the wheels were interchangeable in the 02-06

[shadow=red,left] To add to my earlier post ngrome I would not spend the money to change rims, I would spend my money to fix 4WD and upgrade the brakes and if I wanted or needed a lowered AV I would do it through a good complete suspension lowering kit.

There was an '05 Z71 where I work he had an Eiback lowering kit. He ran 20's and the factory 17's for his snow tires.
So a lot of options for stance.  

Back