• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Braided Ground Straps/Transfer Case Issue??

thegrizz

2005 1500 Z71 with cladding...

So, I'm having issues with the transfer case not shifting into 4wd high and 4wd low. Truck works fine in 2wd and 4wd Auto modes. I know the coder motor draws significant current when it is switching things in the transfer case. This may or may not be related to the following:

I know at least one of the braided grounding straps has disintegrated. It is the one under the driver's side bed. I have no idea what the two connections points are.

My question is can anyone tell me the stock locations of any/all of the truck's grounding straps? I want to make sure everything is properly grounded. I plan to replace all of the braided straps with 4GA stranded copper wire IF I can figure out where they all should be. Since the transfer case sits on rubber mounts, I'm assuming there is supposed to be a ground strap to it?? ...or is it grounded through the transmission/engine connection? I'd just like to make sure no critical straps have disintegrated like the one under the bed. I'm assuming that specific strap goes from somewhere on the frame to somewhere on the body??

Thank you in advance for any help with this!

You can start here

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,103136.0.html

Be careful when replacing braided grounding straps with standard wire. They use braided straps because it can handle the movement of different components better than standard wire.

You MAY find that your new wire works great at first and slowly looses capacity as it flexes back and forth. You may also want to anchor the wire down past the connector so that the only portion that moves is the wire its self and not flexing against the connector.

Ground straps are generally welded or machine crimped and don't easily come apart and the braiding allows for a lot of flex.

Good luck!

MS03- Thank you. It looks like all of those on the diagrams are grounds coming from/going to a wire harness. I didn't see any "straps" on these diagrams. That being said, I'm sure the ones to/from the harness are even more important and when I get it back on my lift, I'll be sure to check all of these out as well!

RedHead.... Thank you too for the advice. I know the braided type wire allows for more flexing but the individual strands are so fine. Splash a little salt-water up on them and they start turning to dust. That being said is why I am using stranded wire of a much higher capacity than what I'm sure the braided stuff is. I will keep a close eye on whatever I decide to do. My ultimate goal is to get and KEEP my 4WD working properly. The local dealership changed the coder motor 2 times and raped me for a clutch pack replacement (which did not need to be done and I subsequently won the case against paying them for it). A local "hotshot" mechanic suggested check the grounds, switches and hot wires to/through the coder motor. So....on to step one! Thanks again.

once again someone always has the answer to member questions ........ what a great group ! !

Back