• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

When And What To Tune Up On 05?

rocks66ss

My 05 Avalanche that I've had since new now has 112k. When should it be tuned up? Also what plugs, I understand that the plugs that were installed new are no longer available. If not, what plugs should be used?

The truck seems to run fine, I just wonder when it recommended to change plugs and wires. And anything I should be aware of when doing this.

Thanks
Rocky

Maintenance schedule should be in your owners manual. If you don't have one take a look at the Resources section on this website......

I change mine at minimum 100,000 miles with stock ac delco parts. Other things like cleaning the MAF also helps. But do look at the owner manual

I think the original plugs were rated at 125,000 miles.  I'd change both the plugs and wires.

I'd also change the front O2 sensors.

Plugs are rated in the area of 100,000 miles but I have read they can start showing measurable degration as early as 50,000 miles. They are cheap so not an issue to change early.

You get just standard AC Delco Platinum Plugs. Not sure why they wouldn't be carried anymore. No measurable performance improvement with other plugs on a stock motor. If you have forced induction you may have to go with a different rating of plug but the fancy plugs that say they boost performance are just sales gimmicks.

Wires are more a personal preference. If you go with a good quality high performance resistor style wire they should live longer than the truck. Resistor style to prevent RF that can mess with radio reception.

O2 sensors are a little different. I have read to change them at 100,000 miles because they loose efficiency. But others choose to wait until they throw a code. Note that they will affect performance long before they throw a code. When time to change them you likely want to stay with AC Delco because some engines/pcms are VERY finicky when you use a bosch or other brand name. They are setup to use ACDelco and others have a slightly different reaction curve and may show up as runabiliity issues in your truck.

I think when it warms up a bit I will do the plugs, wires and o2 sensors.

Rocky

Back