• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Keep or sell 2006 AV with 240,000 miles and buy 2009-2013?

eddy

It's been the best truck I have ever owned; but concerned about the high miles. Want a new raptor-but too cheap to spend that much $$$. So thinking a 2009-2103 AV, opinions?

Thinking of buying a later model AV with low miles less than 75,000; is my current 2006 LT (VERY NICE) condition really worth 10,000 as per. NADA and KBB values? Needs nothing, just want a lower miles truck and don't want to have to go to the repair shop in the future,

I vote keep it, at least you know what you have. Buying another 4 or more year old AV you never know how it was maintained.

I agree with what MS03 2500 has said. The problem is no matter which way you go you will end up in a repair shop or looking for new at a dealership at some point in time. You just have to plan for it and keep up with maintenance and consider it part of the cost of ownership.
Remember to check things like underneath the AV for signs of rust, if any try to eliminate it and treat is ASAP. Most people worry about mileage on motor but many other things need to be maintained in order for it to remain on the road.

+! for keep.

Unless it isn't working for you, it will be better in the long run to keep. I also have the 2006, mine with 167K miles currently. I pay almost nothing anymore for title, and insurance is negligible.  It also needs work, but nothing traumatic. I will be looking at transmission, window motors, and some interior rattles which should be fixed up. 

You know exactly how well the truck was maintained and what needs to be done. With a newer model, you don't. Plus i've heard that the active fuel management on those vehicles leads to issues. 

The Raptor looks cool, and 450 hp / 500 lb-ft out of a V6 seems awesome, but it wont' be as nice as your Avalanche.

Another vote to keep it.  You say it's in good shape in spite of the miles and as others have posted, you know it's history.  Even if you get one a few years newer, you never really know it's history or hidden problems.  You could be buying someone elses problem.  I just put some coin in my 325i after it hit 200,000 miles.  Yeah, what I put in it is basically the is book, but I'm the only owner and know how well I've maintained over the years.  I expect to get another 200,000 out of it.

Great feedback! Great forum; what the replies makes sense. Maybe just hold out with mine and when it's worn out just bite the bullet and get another new truck; again thanks for the great feedback. Heading for 300K!

I'm not sure where you live but if it's not a rust bucket its worth keeping.

So Cal and I'm the original owner (NO ACCIDENTS), NO rust and great paint etc.

Rust is the largest demise of our trucks!

If the body is rust free, regular maintenance will keep it going well into the 300k range and some even beyond.

I also vote keep it!

You know what kind of maintenance the truck has had, compared to buying a truck that is 3-4 years old as mentioned above.  (y)

I would keep it as long as it suits your needs.

It WILL require maintenance as time goes by.

Some major, some minor.

Just stay on top of it and fix things as they break so you don't end up with a whole bunch of broken stuff all at once.

But for the most part, even with a few major items, like a transmission rebuild, your cash outlay will be less over time than if buying a newer vehicle.

And who is to say the newer vehicle might be needing a major fix in short order?

I had to have the transmission rebuilt within 10,000 miles of purchasing my used EXT.

But that was almost 5 years ago now.

I even have an old 1993 Ford Explorer we keep as a spare.

I toss a few bucks at it every so often to keep it serviceable.

It does it's job and costs me about $200 a year for insurance and not much else.

I can't rent a car for a few days for than much, if I needed one.

eddy said:
So Cal and I'm the original owner (NO ACCIDENTS), NO rust and great paint etc.
Yeah, one thing we don't have - rust. Took me forever to understand why people kept talking about rust on their vehicles.  My only decision I made was to semi-retire the Avalanche. I bought a used Jetta to commute and then replaced that with a new Malibu hybrid. Still drive the truck on weekends and whenever I need to haul something big.

PerfectReign said:
Yeah, one thing we don't have - rust. Took me forever to understand why people kept talking about rust on their vehicles.  My only decision I made was to semi-retire the Avalanche. I bought a used Jetta to commute and then replaced that with a new Malibu hybrid. Still drive the truck on weekends and whenever I need to haul something big.

Yeah, rust just isn't a thing here, either.

A car with rust just doesn't stand a chance of being sold around here.

I find it amazing that in other areas, people judge a vehicle on "how much rust" one has.

When you do see that odd one here with rust, it really draws attention to itself.

And it will most likely not have a local license plate.

Changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes.

(y)

Yes, thinking that way "cheaper to keep her". Hope she holds together for awhile. $2,200 in repairs in the last 6 months.

Hey spending $2,200 beats spending $50,000 plus for a new truck! You should consider finding out what a monthly payment would be for your next dream vehicle and put that cash aside in an account earning interest, only pull funds out to repair the AV or family emergencies. That way you get a feeling for what your budget would be like with a car payment and you could use the fund to pay cash for your next vehicle when the AV eventually dies.
My father taught me to save cash for what I wanted and live with what I have until I could afford otherwise. Haven't had a car payment in decades.(Thanks dad!)

Back