• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Door Hinge Lube

TheSpartanKnight

My drivers door is "popping" when it's super cold and opening/closing. There's also a lack of paint which I'll address this summer, but for right now I just want to hit it with some lube. But what kind?

On my Audi forum they were saying that WD40 can actually dry out the hinge and make things worse, so I now ask, what do we use for the Avvy?

Thank you in advance.

Don't know why some people think WD-40 is a lubricant when the wd stands for water displacement?

You should consider a product made for the exact purpose:

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Fluid-12346241-Super-Lube/dp/B000QGYJ82/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

My Avalanche had that exact same problem (mainly when it's cold outside) on the driver's door hinge.  I tried a couple different types of oils - but that never lasted.  Several months ago I put some "Weapon Shield" grease on it - and I have not heard one peep out of it since!!!  I believe that it is a "lithium based" grease that is manufactured for firearms - but it sure does the trick on door hinges too!!!

My door and catch was doing the same and I used a white lithium grease I bought at NAPA. I have also used a Remington gun oil on my Honda.

The only way to eliminate this now is by replacing the pin and roller bushing on the body side as it likely has flat spotted from the hinge sliding on it rather than causing it to spin.
Lubricating the hinge roller bushing is a common mistake and once done, is nearly impossible to reverse.
The bare edge of the hinge assembly on the door side is normal and should not be painted. When a hinge on our Av's begins to make noise it is because some type of lubricant got onto the door side of the hinge mechanism providing a reduction in friction required to roll the bushing on the body side of the hinge. Lubricating this bushing and hinge are the absolute last thing you want to do. The right move is to clean it w/ a heavy solvent like brake parts cleaner and dry it thoroughly. The hinge and roller bushing are designed to be dry. The arm on the door side creates friction w/ the roller bushing on the body side causing it to spin as the door is opened and closed. Lubricating these parts causes the arm to slide along the busing as opposed to rolling it and creates a flat spot on the bushing. Once your lubricant wears off, the arm then continues to slide along this flat spot making all kinds of noise and/or creating sticking points when opening/closing the door as is will never turn the bushing again due to the deformation caused by the hinge bar sliding.
To each his own, but if you consult your dealer or any GM master tech, they will tell you under no circumstance should you lubricate the door hinges, you're only asking for a lifetime of creaking/cracking and constant need to re-lubricate if you do.

poop.

Well I hit it with some lube Sunday night...

Okay so I'll look into replacing it though. One of those projects that will be tons easier once I have a garage again.

When some of my doors started popping I applied oil onto and above the roller. Worked it in, moving the door back and forth. Re-oiled, let set to work in more. Came back later and cleaned everything up. No further issues after all these years and the roller still spins nice and smooth. Maybe mine never had chance to lock up enough? I'm sure if you leave something on the outside of the roller there won't be enough friction to spin it. Just throwing my experience out there... :dunno:

Back