• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Looking for 2007 flex fuel 6.0 motor...

newvision

Looking at doing this swap in my 07 5.3L LTZ Flex fuel, but having a really difficult time locating a motor. If anyone comes across one, please let me know. I found an 2008 SILVERADO VORTEC MAX 6.0 L76 ENGINE 4L70E AUTO TRANS PULLOUT 151K on ebay for 5500.00. Seems a little steep!

I'm not sure what area you are in but you could try www.car-part.com

In Colorado right now but headed to Texas. Called performance shop yesterday and they suggested finding a 6.0 instead of doing upgrades to 5.3. I just want a little more power when towing.

Another way to go assuming your motor is in good shape is to add a supercharger. Many members go this route especially for towing...

http://www.magnacharger.com/

Is there anything I should do internally to the motor prior to slapping on a supercharger to ensure the motor can handle it?

You may want to read the posts in the forced induction section but from what I remember if you just install the kit as it comes from Magnacharger you are good to go and can even get a 3 year warranty on the drivetrain. It's when you increase the boost that you may want to change things some. The beauty of the kit is you don't have to tear down the motor or beef up the drivetrain.

Will do. The kits I found online where around 6,000, is this correct? If so wouldn't the 6.0 conversion be cheaper?

Spoke with my local GM performance shop and they recommended either doing a used 6.2 motor out of an Escalade same year or slap a Vortech Super Charger on top of my 5.3L.

I am closing in on 100k miles, and given the decent amount of abuse I put on my 5.3L I am curious about a 6.2L conversion some time in the future. Very interested in seeing which way you will go.

I'm at 175,000 and still going no issues but my Avy isn't my daily driver. Just looking into the future. The 6.2 conversion with a used motor would be cheaper than the 6-7,000 supercharger mod. I see you have a fulltune with AFM Delete. Who did your tune and which delete did you go with? Just programming AFM delete or the actual programming and mechanical delete?

I'm surprised they suggested a centrifugal supercharger if you are looking for more power when towing.  It builds up boost at higher rpm ranges.  I'd think a Magnuson or similar would be a better choice for a tow vehicle.

I have an '09 6.0Lx6L80, I still haven't thought up a name for this combo, but am working on it...

Anyway, I don't believe the 6.0 is a flex fuel engine, at least there's no badging saying so. That's actually what was a surprise on mine when I went up north to buy it, as it was advertised as a flex fuel 5.3L, then I noticed the lack of badging, looked under the hood and then asked for the build sheet. The salesman was excited for me. "That's a 6.0L?! Oh that's awesome. 2500 powertrain."

Again, anyway!

The 6.0L I like so far, and if it had the "peppier" 4 spd that'd be even more fun, though it'd be worse mileage. If you could go 6.2L without much of a hassle yeah I'd go that route if you're swapping powertrains anyway.

newvision said:
I'm at 175,000 and still going no issues but my Avy isn't my daily driver. Just looking into the future. The 6.2 conversion with a used motor would be cheaper than the 6-7,000 supercharger mod. I see you have a fulltune with AFM Delete. Who did your tune and which delete did you go with? Just programming AFM delete or the actual programming and mechanical delete?
Same here, I commute on my motorcycle usually. The Avy is reserved for cold weather, and weekend outings. I had my tune done at Synergy Motorsports (Fremont, California), it was a proper dyno tune. It looks like they closed down some time ago though. The tune made a big difference: I did not get a ton of extra horsepower, but the overall drive-ability was noticeably better: the truck is always willing to drop a gear or two at just a hint of a throttle, and it pulls harder at mid RPM ranges. The tune also included a change in how transmission shifted, which resulted in being able to chirp tires in 2nd gear. The cool thing is that the guy was able to program a "sportier" tune under the tow-haul mode, and a more relaxed tune in regular mode.

I was thinking along the lines of just having a shop tune my factory computer in house instead of buying an aftermarket tuner. My Avy is totally stock so I wanted to start with something simple like an exhaust and tune to get a little better weekend driving and towing performance.

enoniam said:
I'm surprised they suggested a centrifugal supercharger if you are looking for more power when towing.  It builds up boost at higher rpm ranges.  I'd think a Magnuson or similar would be a better choice for a tow vehicle.
Me too. Everything I read here says go with a Maggie, but the shop recommended the Vortech and would do the tune if I payed 7,000 parts and labor and guaranteed it with factory drivetrain.

I've had a Vortech on my truck's original engine.  Replaced that engine at 289K miles with a crate 6.0 rebuild 2 years ago.  Vortech's been sitting in the garage since.  It's about to go on the 6.0... 
:drive:

We've been going around for travel trailers for awhile now looking for the right one. We've rented a few to get the feel of what we like and don't like. The latest two trailers that we like are lightweight. First one is 33' and around 6,000lbs at the scale and the second one is 29' and 5500/5600 at the scale. I don't tow with full fresh water tank or propane. Only enough water if there was a bathroom emergency or something. This what I need to be able to haul with my Avy.
http://www.wegocamping.com/rv/2017-CROSSROADS-SUNSET-TRAIL--SS291RK-18661
http://www.wegocamping.com/rv/2017-CROSSROADS-SUNSET-TRAIL--SS254RB-18654

DO you think the 5.3 motor can handle either of those trailers since they are within the tow rating? I also have 3.73 gears.

Hey enoniam, is that Vortech a centrifugal super charger?

To original OP, a NEW 5.3 WITH the transmission isn't going to be $5500 unless those Flex Fuel engines are insane. If they are insane I think I would just go with a standard fuel engine and forget the flex fuel portion. Would remove any flex fuel badging if I did that so no one tried to run it with something else. And remove the yellow gas cap.

Personally if you are considering a super charger or at a minimum a new engine I would look seriously at the ATK engines... Would mean you ditch the flex fuel most likely but might be worth a call...

Here is the link to some of their engines...  I believe enomiam is running one of these 6.0L engines. Note that when I spoke to them they told me the 5.3 is priced out the door but the 6.0 requires a core or an additional charge ($450) since the 6.0 is apparently no longer made.

http://www.high-performance-engines.com/category-s/2170.htm

When I spoke to them on the phone the $4000 6.0 setup was putting out about 450 hp/ftlbs but they told me on the phone that they had people that had them dyno as high as 500. 

I hope to get one built to handle a super charger for which they quoted me ball park $7000 to go with lower compression and stronger components to be able to get to that 700-800 hp range.

Thank you for the recommendation.  I will take a look at the ATK engines. I'm thinking I would rather put money towards a new motor than slap a supercharger on my 5.3L motor with 175,000 miles on it.

If you do go the supercharger route, you need a positive displacement (PD) supercharger, such as Magnuson, Whipple, SLP, Lysholm, or Edelbrock.  A centrifugal is great for racing, or running all out at high RPM, but for towing, you will want the instant torque that a PD supercharger offers.

newvision said:
Thank you for the recommendation.  I will take a look at the ATK engines. I'm thinking I would rather put money towards a new motor than slap a supercharger on my 5.3L motor with 175,000 miles on it.

I slapped the Vortech on my engine with over 200,000 miles on it.  Probably put around 70,000 on it before retiring the engine at 289,000 due to a slight miss coming from cylinder 7.  If I wasn't planning on keeping the truck for a long time I probably would have jsut kept running it with the slight miss, although it was enough that the computer wasn't keeping the torque converter locked (until I tweaked the computer tune some).

I've been checking ebay for motors. If I go this route is this the motor I'm looking for?? I've got an 07
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGINE-6-0L-VIN-K-8TH-DIGIT-OPT-LY6-FITS-07-08-SIERRA-2500-PICKUP-802858/282235011484?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41402%26meid%3Df8b91bcf33a94d86b93e2601bed1777e%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D122263229768

Back