• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

bad assumption

weddow

Hello. I am looking at a 2007 with 113k miles on it. I've read about the excessive oil consumption on these models and the way to kind of tinker around the problem. My question is, obviously not every truck had this issue. Would it be stupid to assume with a clean Carfax and one owner that this truck is one of the lucky ones? My current Avy 03 most likely has water in the oil(gunk on the dipstick) and a cracked head or some sort of expensive problem. I take it in in a couple days to find out the true cost of repairs. I'm just not sure it's worth rebuilding or risking and buying the 07. Obviously you never know when buying a used car what problems will occur but if it had the excessive oil problem it would have shown by now, correct? Thanks.

There are many things that could affect your decision on this issue. (In the end it will be your decision regardless of anyone's opinion.)
You should realize that any problems posted are probably from a minority of owners since first off majority of AV owners are NOT a site member, second out of the thousands of members only a few post about their issues. If all you read is the problems sections then anyone would be scared to buy a vehicle of any type since i'm sure problem sections of any brand owners board are full of posts.
Most owners don't post things like "I drove my AV today and nothing bad happened!" But you may find more comfort in reading post about the multiple owners , or ones with high mileage etc.

The problem with trusting things like Carfax is that they only record problems or accidents etc. if work was done at a reporting service shop. If a problem such as flooding or accidents were repaired by owner or a small shop it may not make it to Carfax. What might tell you more is whether the one owner has all receipts for tuneups and maintenance work. Also has the vehicle been stored for any length of time?
Only way I know to be sure of internal condition of the motor is to do a compression check on each cylinder (short of a motor tear down of course.)
There certainly can be more wrong with a vehicle than just the motor though so I would check it over for under body rust from road salts etc. and check all fluids or have vehicle inspected by a third party mechanic/appraiser before I bought a used vehicle.

As far as financial it will probably be cheaper overall to rebuild your AV motor wise and check all systems while at it then to buy a newer vehicle. Even if you spend a couple of grand that will be thousands less then buying newer one. Problem would be if yours is a rust bucket then it may be throwing good money after bad.....
If you can consider fixing yours but after repairs start making yourself a car payment each month into savings so that when your AV is on it's last legs you could pay cash for your next vehicle. Do that each time and you will never pay interest on a car payment the rest of your life........

A Carfax is no guarantee the 2007 will be reliable, it's 10 year old.
The 03 if properly maintained  may well be the best way to go.
If it has rust issues then it maybe time to retire it.
If it's just the engine get the engine rebuilt.

It cost a heck of lot more to repair a 2007 up.

Ditto on what MS032500 says.  If your current ride is in good shape other than the engine, you may be better off rebuilding or getting a new engine.  The only thing the Carfax tells you is if it's been wrecked and how many owners and even at that, it doesn't ways catch all the wrecks.

None of my vehicles have been mechanically repaired or had any body work done at a Carfax reporting shop for as long as I have had them.

Any of them.

And I have had tons of big ticket things fixed and body work done through out the years.

I just never have any work done at a dealer since long before Carfax was around.

As far as I can tell, the only thing Carfax is good for is if a vehicle owner chooses to get their vehicle worked on at a dealership.

I have looked at the Carfax reports for the past few vehicles I have bought and about all I ever see is service at dealerships, usually during the early years of a vehicle, and registration changes.

A lot of other stuff along the way never gets documented.

If I were concerned about keeping a "clean" Carfax report on my own car, I would seek out a good general mechanic that does not report and get most of my repairs done there.

As posted by EXT4ME - My one owner 2002 - 2500 came with a CARFAX report and the only thing it showed was the year over year license and registration renewals. (one entry in 2003 for a factory recall notice).  All other service was performed at a local repair facility - the same one for 14 years - as I received a complete folder/record of all the receipts for service and repair.  The maintenance history would have been invisible to CARFAX.

Thank you all for the insight and opinions. This does help with my decision. The Carfax does list regular maintenance at the dealership. Everything is a gamble at this point. I am financially handicapped at the moment and I think either way I go, (rebuild the 03 or buy an 07) I would be in the same boat. I have looked at other trucks but I always end up looking at Avalanches. I love their unique design and capabilities. Love the site and the experience everyone has. Thanks!  (y)

I just bought a 07 AV with 94K miles on it,  I live in Oklahoma,  flew to Ky and drove it home,  I have no worries at all,  will be my second AV.... I love it,  super clean ride!    but as was stated above,  it is 10 yrs old so there is a gamble.....  my brother is a mechanic so that helps me!!!  :D

Back