Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
11/17/17 10:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2004 upgrade with newer stock radio  (Read 727 times)
Sontours

Awards
« on: 02/14/17 02:14 pm »

I have a 2004 with the factory Bose setup. I wanted to know if anyone has put a radio from a newer Chevy with Navigation in their older Avalanche.
Thanks

MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 02/14/17 03:58 pm »

You can go with a 05 non touchscreen or a 06 touchscreen Nav. But be aware the maps have not been upgraded since 2012

2003 2500
WhoAteMySoup

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 02/14/17 05:46 pm »

I have no idea as far as how hard it would be to fit one, but I do have my old Navi unit for sale if you're interested. It's a 2011, from a bose equipped vehicle. It also has a USB input (became available after 2009).
To be honest though, I would go with an aftermarket unit if I were you.

2011 Black Avalanche LTZ.
6" Fabtech Lift, Trail Ready Front bumper, 2.25" leveling kit by Ready Lift, Corsa Touring exhaust, K&N air intake, KMC XD Bully wheels in 285/70/17 Toyo ATs, full tune with AFM/DOD delete. Alpine X-009GM with front camera for no good reason.
redheadedrod
CAFCNA 2015 Premium Member

2003 Z71

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 02/15/17 04:26 pm »

No brainer to go to an aftermarket radio... Not worth it to go to a newer factory head...

2003 Cladded Black Z71 - PC installed otherwise mostly stock.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal
All on high and FTDRL (BCM friendly version)
TDHeller

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 11/12/17 12:38 pm »

I know this is sort of late here and the forum is really slowing down - BUT doe you still have the navi unit for sale?
I just got an 05 LT my 3rd so far without Nav and I'd like to use it for vacation travel.
And NO I don't want an aftermarket unit at all.
Too many hacks working on them and don't care for unreadable displays and lousy integration.
If you still have it and want to sell let me know  - Thanks
Tim

I have no idea as far as how hard it would be to fit one, but I do have my old Navi unit for sale if you're interested. It's a 2011, from a bose equipped vehicle. It also has a USB input (became available after 2009).
To be honest though, I would go with an aftermarket unit if I were you.

1st - NEW 2002 Avalanche North Face 
2nd - New 2004 Avalanche Z-71 Hot seats and Moon roof
Current "Used" - 2005 Z-71 131-K mi. red Grey leather moon roof Hot seats Like new
Vaeagleav

The Avalanche just keeps getting better!

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 11/12/17 05:45 pm »

TDHeller,
Not sure if you will have problems trying to put a second gen AV radio in a first gen AV or not.
I know you say not interested in an aftermarket unit but you should talk to someone in service at www.crutchfield.com since they know their stuff and can make a complete kit for you with all the wiring and such so it is just plug and play setup for you and your specific AV. They also have many customer reviews and various brands so you can find a system with everything you want and in your budget.

2008 Z71 Silver Birch 
2004 Z71 Silver Birch before that.
redheadedrod
CAFCNA 2015 Premium Member

2003 Z71

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 11/12/17 11:20 pm »

I can guarantee a 2007+ will NOT work in a pre 2007 truck. They don't talk the same language for one thing. GM switched to CANBUS/SWCAN for the whole truck in 2007 and the only way it will work is with a translator of some sort and as far as I know no one has made one.

So your choice really only is a 2006 or older NAV system which haven't been updated in a LONG time and would be next to worthless for navigation.

Your only other choice is after market or using a phone or tablet.

Or if you have a buddy with a newer radio in their truck and know how to reverse engineer the signals you could create a J1850VPW to SWCAN translator that would allow you to bridge the two.. But good luck with that one as no one has done this as far as I know. (The M2 I am working on would work for this but you would still have to know the codes it is looking for and what they would be on the older truck. )

Rodney

2003 Cladded Black Z71 - PC installed otherwise mostly stock.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal
All on high and FTDRL (BCM friendly version)
AirJunky

Live hard, die young, leave a good lookin corpse!

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: 11/13/17 11:50 am »

I never understood why have a stereo with an integrated nav system. In a year or two, their out of date & it seems like several people have had issues getting them updated.

By going with the nav system on any cell phone that is bluetooth connected to the stereo, updates are automatic, it works in any vehicle you happen to be driving that day, plus you get the ability to store & play music, connect to your ODBII port & load an app like Torque & who knows what else.

-
Bill
2005 Avalanche, 4x4, Z-71 1500, 5.3 liter, 4.10 rear, upgraded 4L60E.
Mods: Heated cloth seats, Pioneer stereo, 2 Kicker subwoofers, MB Quart speakers, tinted front windows, removed Z71 decals, Flowmaster 50, All4On, Amber DRLs, CAI, Maglite, wrapped steering wheel, Indoor/outdoor carpeted the bed & midgate.
My Av Gallery
Vaeagleav

The Avalanche just keeps getting better!

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 11/13/17 03:15 pm »

Some of us dinosaurs don't have smart phones..... 

2008 Z71 Silver Birch 
2004 Z71 Silver Birch before that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: