• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Compass Reading Backwards/ (Onstar)

europaman

Hi Y'all,

I thought I had already asked this question but it must have been in another forum. Anyways, the problem I am having is not a major one but occasionally it is an annoyance. I have a 2012 LTZ with the compass readout in the cluster. It always reads the exact opposite of my direction of travel. I have done the calibration thing, driving in circles until I got dizzy and neighbors got concerned I was losing my mind. So I am looking for clues to fix it before I let the dealer take over. One clue I have for you to take into consideration is the fact that at some point in "Pearls" history she was in an accident and I was told the headliner was replaced. Somewhere, maybe in a parts diagram, the compass transmitter was somewhere in the overhead. I am hoping and suspecting that when it was apart someone connected the wiring with the wrong polarity simply making the transmitter lie to the readout. Where would be the best place to intercept this pair of wires to swap the polarity and test it without tearing out the entire head liner? Is there a better path to a solution to this problem. I use the the readout occasionally to cross check my direction to road signs and the navigation system. Like I said in the beginning, its a minor problem, but if I have something available, I want it to be correct and work like it is suppose to. Thanks.
PS....I am wondering if this issue is somehow related to the fact that my Onstar will not activate when pushing the Blue Onstar button. The Onstar tech could ping my truck, green light flashing, but Pearl would not talk back apparently. (See more on this issue in a separate post)

Have you done the compass magnetic variation adjustment procedure?

Diagnostic Aids
    ?  Check for aftermarket equipment installed or personal items that could create a magnetic field that could affect the performance of the compass.

?  Cycle the ignition before performing the compass magnetic variation adjustment procedure.

?  Check that the compass module is properly installed in the vehicle. The embossed arrow on the module should be parallel with the centerline of the vehicle.

Compass Display Is Incorrect
Adjust or change the compass zone using the world magnetic variation map. Refer to Compass Calibration and Magnetic Variance.
⇒ If the compass is still incorrect, perform the compass magnetic variation adjustment procedure. Refer to Compass Calibration and Magnetic Variance.

If the compass is still incorrect, replace the compass module.

I have done the variation adjustment for my zone here in NC and done the calibration numerous times. Since it is exactly 180 degrees out, I am assuming it has something to do with wiring polarity, and the fact that the headliner was replaced after an accident by previous owner. It could be the transmitter was removed and installed backwards, don't know why that would have been necessary.
Where is the transmitter?
Where is the wiring routed to it?
Is there a connector somewhere that I could reverse the wires to test my polarity theory?
Thanks for the help.  ???

Back