• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

So looking to build my '03 into a (semi) monster... (4x4 thread)

redheadedrod

SM 2017
PM 2015
So with the consideration that my '03 will (hopefully) have a LOT of power I want to make it an off road beast.

Starting my research now so I can move when I have the cash to do so...

I already have upgraded front brakes to 2007 style...

Will deal with bumpers when the time comes but for now this thread is to concentrate on the offroad aspects of the drivetrain.

What things do I need to consider when lifting the truck?
I know you can do a body or suspension lift and I am assuming there are issues with each type? How much total lift can you do reasonably without looking like crap and making the truck way top heavy?

What other things should I consider to make my truck off road worthy?

What does a solid front axle do for you?

Note I already plan to add light bars, new bumpers front and rear with at least a front Winch. I will bedline the lower cladding and maybe the rest of the truck as well.

Truck MAY be mostly used on the dunes but depending where I move to could be used to play in the mud or in the woods too.

Depends on what you use it for. Dunes and mud are completely different terrians. Different set ups for both.

What do you mean? Please educate me...

I have seen difference in the tires but how else are they different setups? Not looking to race or compete, just go have fun with it.

Rodney

1st where is lots of power coming from stock 5.3
6" suspension lift
brakes you got covered
steering
what tire size and re-gear if need (locker rear)

A solid front axle will give you a stiffer ride but will be a lot stronger than the IFS, and it will also allow you to put a locker in the front (y). With that said, you should think about whether you want to go solid axle or not, as your first part of the build. The reason being, your stock front axle supports the IFS up front, with a solid axle up front you are doing away with the IFS, so you will need a completely different lift kit.

As far as lifts go, I've seen several lifted trucks that have 6" suspension and 3" body lifts and look awesome. As long as you get the right size rubber to go with the size of lift, and you don't load the roof rack up with a bunch of stuff, you shouldn't have too much of a top heavy AV. You can also go with wider tires/wheels for better stability. IMHO I would say to do your research, figure out what your budget is, the offroad world CAN get VERY expensive. Some good suspension lifts are BDS, RCD, Rancho, Icon, those are my preferential bunch, but are also some of the more expensive companies out there, but they also know how to build lifts very well and have been in the business very long.

Engine will be a maggie equipped 6.0...

Been working very hard past few years and will continue to do so until I retire in 2021... At that point in time I will have an over $50k per year pension until I die and will be starting a new job in IT and realizing the fruits of my labor. (A recent study listed the top 13 IT jobs that can reach $200k or more and I will qualify for 4 of them...)  At bottom edge I expect to make $70k to start at my IT job and only go up from there...  So I am not too concerned about the cost...

Anyone have a picture of a truck with 6" lift with 3" body lift?
And what is involved in a solid front axle?
Am I going to end up able to reuse the current transfer case or will I be going to a totally different system?

Rodney

In terms of the Solid Front, either a site sponsor or other, that was on the forum 5-8 yrs ago, at least that was the last time I looked into, though it might be worthwhile renewing a search for my AV; anyways, you can search the forum and I'm sure the search function will come up with a couple old threads on guys that did solid swaps. The ones I remember allowed you to either keep the 6 lug or change to 8 lug when going to a solid swap, usually a Dana 60 is what is used in the front, granted that is what Ford uses on their super duty, but it is a very stout front axle, and if you are planning to play hard offroad, you want something strong up front. Also as I said in my other post, you will not be able to use a standard lift kit when going with the solid front. Due to the suspension and everything changing when going to a solid front, you would have to due one lift kit for the front end and one for the rear. Now if cost is not a big issue to you, you may want to just swap out both axles, and due a coil-over conversion, and/or do leaf conversion in the rear, this will give you a wider variety of lift kits, and much stronger components.

Here is an old thread with some pics of 6" and 3" lifts: http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=61473.0 Also look through my thread titled "Lifted Nation" there are hundreds of pics on there of AV's with a variety of lifts.

Now as for the stock transfer case, you can probably utilize it again, however it will be a weak link in the chain. If you are doing a 6 and 3 lift and solid front swap, you may want to think about upgrading other parts like transmission and driveshaft and transfer case and rear axle, etc. The big lift and big tires (with that lift you will be able to run 38 or 39 tires, and so that adds to the stress that is put on stock components.). Also make sure to upgrade that SCHITTY G80 in the rear, that thing will grenade in seconds offroad with those huge tires on it. I'd suggest going with either dual lockers, or an air/electric locker in the rear and tru-trac in front.

If you look up beansliftedavalanche on Instagram, that is a 6" suspension and 2" body lift.

Hmm almost sounds like when the time comes I need to find a shop and drop off my truck...

With the kind of cost I will be putting into this I would rather find someone that does this stuff all the time and build a strong truck...
Regardless of location...

Although a good shop as close as possible would be the best bet.

Rodney

Yes for the amount of money you are going to spend on this build, you definitely want to find the best professional you can to do the build. I know there are lots of places in the west, socal, Vegas, salt lake, etc

So then what I am most likely looking at once I install the engine is.... ROAD TRIP...

Or may find a shop to do everything... Thinking will still cost me less than a new truck... And be a lot more fun.

Rodney

Back