• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New headlight build 09 AV

Ice9812

I know there's a thread about these headlights but I completely replaced everything so I wanted to share.

I opened up the headlights and replaced the projectors with D2S square projectors from the retrofit source .com.  I had one projector etched with the chevy logo and the other etched with the z71 logo.  I put in D2S hid bulbs 6500k.

I also replaced the leds that are inside the "c" shape drl section.  As you can see in pic 2 below the leds are small, cheap and not bright.  I installed xsb switchback strips from the retrofit source that can be on white or amber depending on how you wire them.  I choose to have the white for DRl use and blink amber when activated.  I can post a video if anyone wants to see them working.

And questions let me know
Here are some pics.  As you can see in the pics the "c" shape drl is now very bright in the daytime and not washed out by the sun at all.

Did you have to bend the C shaped LED or did it come already formed? Also what dimensions does it come in?

I am looking at doing a build for my '03 where I am using LED projectors and would like to have a switch back strip like that on them.

Thanks!

Rodney

redheadedrod said:
Did you have to bend the C shaped LED or did it come already formed? Also what dimensions does it come in?

I am looking at doing a build for my '03 where I am using LED projectors and would like to have a switch back strip like that on them.

Thanks!

Rodney
[/quote/]

No they don't come in a c shape.

The xsb strips come in 3,6,18 and 24. They don't recommend the strips being cut but because they are mounted behind the diffuser I cut the strips into 3 separate strips and solder wires to each strip. It is important to order the correct length because the led driver that controls the strip outputs power based on the length

Wow!!!!! That is impressive!  :eek:

I particularly love the switchbacks!  (y)

I love that style of aftermarket light, but I know the aftermarket lights all suck as fart as quality and light output... So I haven't attempted to find anything aftermarket until i am in the position to upgrade the projectors as well.

I helped install a set of this style lights at Nationals last year, and I was less than impressed with the output, etc..

4x4dreamer said:
Wow!!!!! That is impressive!  :eek:

I particularly love the switchbacks!  (y)

I love that style of aftermarket light, but I know the aftermarket lights all suck as fart as quality and light output... So I haven't attempted to find anything aftermarket until i am in the position to upgrade the projectors as well.

I helped install a set of this style lights at Nationals last year, and I was less than impressed with the output, etc..

Thank you.

They are not worth it unless you're going to upgrade the projectors and the leds inside the "c" style DRL.

It wasn't too hard but, the only thing that took some time was the led strips because I had to cut them apart and solder wires on each end to link them back together.  Then before I put everything back together I powered them on for a couple hours to make sure there was going to be no problems.

The light output from the retrofit source projects are top quality with a real nice blue/purple cutoff line.

You are making these even cooler than they come. I love the switchback idea and can appreciate that you took a great looking aftermarket light and made it fantastic. Nice work.

I have to disagree the these lights are just as bright as a stock setup, and I would recommend anyone to get them for a new flare to the looks of the front end. If you need them brighter, the obviously you will need to upgrade the projectors. Every halo/angel eye headlight style is so dated looking to me as they were first introduced back in the early 2000's on BMWs. I can't stand angel eye aftermarket headlights. This optic loop C shape is really mimicking the newest style of lights on other trucks and I love it.

Never had a problem with the light they produce right out of the box. They optic "C" shape is not blaring bright, but they glow plenty bright and you can see them night or day.

IMG_6565_zpsn1g6gwe2.jpg

IMG_6019_zpsu4uvmyjr.jpg

IMG_6015_zps2eptp9tq.jpg

IMG_6558_zpsmr1agy8k.jpg

Good job man. I'm redoing my retrofit now with the mini d2s 4.0. Ran into a problem with the igniter hitting the support bracket for the fender though. Having to go to a d2h bulb. Kinda bummed I can't use my CBI's.

blu_fuz said:
You are making these even cooler than they come. I love the switchback idea and can appreciate that you took a great looking aftermarket light and made it fantastic. Nice work.

I have to disagree the these lights are just as bright as a stock setup, and I would recommend anyone to get them for a new flare to the looks of the front end. If you need them brighter, the obviously you will need to upgrade the projectors. Every halo/angel eye headlight style is so dated looking to me as they were first introduced back in the early 2000's on BMWs. I can't stand angel eye aftermarket headlights. This optic loop C shape is really mimicking the newest style of lights on other trucks and I love it.

Never had a problem with the light they produce right out of the box. They optic "C" shape is not blaring bright, but they glow plenty bright and you can see them night or day.

IMG_6565_zpsn1g6gwe2.jpg

IMG_6019_zpsu4uvmyjr.jpg

IMG_6015_zps2eptp9tq.jpg

IMG_6558_zpsmr1agy8k.jpg

Thank you.

I will agree that compared to stock headlights they are just as bright out of the box but as you stated when you get into different projectors and hid lights then we are talking about 2 different things.  Sorry if I wasn't clear on that

angshan said:
Good job man. I'm redoing my retrofit now with the mini d2s 4.0. Ran into a problem with the igniter hitting the support bracket for the fender though. Having to go to a d2h bulb. Kinda bummed I can't use my CBI's.

Thank you.

I ran into that problem without a different set of headlights.  I ended up making a hold in that support so the bulb would sit inside the bracket.

For sure, totally understand that these can be way brighter with the right aftermarket projectors. If I had the time and the cash, I probably would but I have other repairs to worry about first  :B:(y)

Dude, PERFECT TIMING! I have been looking to do this the last couple of days, and I was even considering the etching - possibly double diamonds for the 2013.  Let me hit you with some questions if you don't mind...

1. the retrofit resource has this Spyder specific kit now with H1 projectors - did you use that mounting kit, and why the ds2 vs this kit? You think it would work?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/application-specific/morimoto-retroquik-spyder.html

2. 55 or 35w ballasts, and Morimoto brand or other?

3. Can you just bend the LEDs around the curve? 

4. How hard was the dis-assembly - did you have to cook the lights to separate, and do you need adhesive to put them back together?

5. Did you bypass the Spyder wiring (it seems a bit flimsy) and direct connect lamps through optional back plate with hole?

I put these lights in last summer and LOVE the look. While the output is decent, it is not near as good as stock with silverstars (I didn't notice until I put stock back in). The passenger side low H7 burnt out in just a few months, and when I tried to replace it, the pattern was all jacked up. I was in a hurry, so the stocks went back on. Really looking forward to doing this...

BADalanche said:
Dude, PERFECT TIMING! I have been looking to do this the last couple of days, and I was even considering the etching - possibly double diamonds for the 2013.  Let me hit you with some questions if you don't mind...

1. the retrofit resource has this Spyder specific kit now with H1 projectors - did you use that mounting kit, and why the ds2 vs this kit? You think it would work?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/application-specific/morimoto-retroquik-spyder.html

2. 55 or 35w ballasts, and Morimoto brand or other?

3. Can you just bend the LEDs around the curve?  

4. How hard was the dis-assembly - did you have to cook the lights to separate, and do you need adhesive to put them back together?

5. Did you bypass the Spyder wiring (it seems a bit flimsy) and direct connect lamps through optional back plate with hole?

I put these lights in last summer and LOVE the look. While the output is decent, it is not near as good as stock with silverstars (I didn't notice until I put stock back in). The passenger side low H7 burnt out in just a few months, and when I tried to replace it, the pattern was all jacked up. I was in a hurry, so the stocks went back on. Really looking forward to doing this...

I'll help you as much as I can

1- the retrofit kit will not work with these lights.  The D2S is a better projector than the H1 and the D2S comes with the square projector in the 3.0 version, you'll have to call them and see if they still have the square 3.0 version available because I don't see them on the website.

2- just a personal opinion but I always use 35w ballast I don't think the 55w is worth it
  Morimoto is one of if not the best on the market

3- the xsb strips cannot be bent around the curve, they must be cut and wires must be solder on

4- the lights come apart pretty easy and much be heated in the over to get apart.  You will need the black sealer that retro fit sells to reseal

5- if you use the D2S projectors you will need to take the back cover from the new lights without the hole and drill a new hole more towards the center.  I can take you a picture and show you that, really easy

If you want send me a pm and I'll give you my cell and make sure you get everything you need and help as much as I can

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm gonna break em out in the morning and go to work - good job on those btw...

BADalanche said:
Thanks for getting back to me. I'm gonna break em out in the morning and go to work - good job on those btw...

Thank you I appreciate it

Before you put them in the oven take all the silver clips off and the little screws out. I think there is 3, 2 on the side and there is a 3rd one in the middle towards the bottom of the light it has a little black silicon over the head so you can't see it.

Put them in the oven for 20 minutes at 250 face up, don't put the lens on the rack.  I used 2 medium flat screw drivers to pry them apart, once you find the right spot you'll be able to pull them apart slowly with your hands.  You might need a thin pair of gloves when you first take them out of the oven.  

Let me know if you have any questions after you get started

Wow, your lights are awesome. Do you have the video showing the switch back? (y) (y) :thumbs:
I've wanted to get these for my truck, I was just afraid they were not going to be better than stock housing with HIDs.
If you don't mind what was the cost for the entire upgrade?

Hey Ice9812  :wave: You keep changing headlights and I'm going to go broke trying to keep up. I really like those headlights. You have a picture of the cutoff?...and do the cutoff shields have to be rotated like the spyders? Can those lights be adjusted on the truck after they're put back together? Thanks.

05sunburst said:
Wow, your lights are awesome. Do you have the video showing the switch back? (y) (y) :thumbs:
I've wanted to get these for my truck, I was just afraid they were not going to be better than stock housing with HIDs.
If you don't mind what was the cost for the entire upgrade?

Thanks, I appreciate it.  I'll make a video later today. I tested the projectors that came with the lights with hid bulbs before I took them apart.  I'll say they were probably a little brighter than halogen but not anywhere near the light output of the D2S projectors.

The cost will vary depending on which projectors and hid kit you purchase.  I'm probably around $700 with everything, that includes the lights, projectors, hid kit, xsb strips.

old skool said:
Hey Ice9812  :wave: You keep changing headlights and I'm going to go broke trying to keep up. I really like those headlights. You have a picture of the cutoff?...and do the cutoff shields have to be rotated like the spyders? Can those lights be adjusted on the truck after they're put back together? Thanks.

I'll get you a picture of the cutoff later tonight.  You don't need to adjust the cutoff shields.  The headlight housing have a different way to mount so you just need to check to make sure the projector is installed level.  Yes you can adjust the height up/down very easily with these headlights after they are completely installed on the truck.

Man that's great. And here I thought I was being fancy by turning my DRL's into another set of turn and parking lights. You took it to a whole new level. Well done sir.

angshan said:
Man that's great. And here I thought I was being fancy by turning my DRL's into another set of turn and parking lights. You took it to a whole new level. Well done sir.

Thank you , much appreciated

05sunburst said:
Sweeeet!!!!!! Love the video.  Ever thought about making an extra pair to sell?? 

Thank you.  I would help someone build a set but it gets to pricey to build and sell.  When it's time to sell the AV I will most likely remove and sell the headlights

UtahAvySki said:
Love those headlights.  Really brings the avy into 2017.

Thank you

blu_fuz said:
Sweet lord baby jesus.  :eek:
(y)

Back