• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

coming back to an avalanche (looking at buying an 05)

zuljin

First glad to see this place is still around <3  I had an 03 avalanche new and traded it away years ago :(.. I've always regretted it.  I've come across an 05 Z71 fully loaded  for a decent price / condition.  A couple of things jumped out at me to research though,  1) its listed as power heated mirrors with turn signal indicators, though the passenger side doesn't have the turn signal.  This doesn't seem right?  I'd think both sides would have it?  2) where the rear window clips in at the top, some paper was folded and stuff up between the latches and mirror,  I presume it was rattling some?  I need to go back look closer at that  just curious if anyone has had issues with the rear window being a tad lose? 

Body looks good no rust,  cladding is in decent shape as well, need some TLC and recondition but at 176k miles i'd expect that outside of buying from an enthusiast :)  I've had my local dealer run the VIN and it all comes back clean, 2 owner truck,no reported wrecks or damage, good service record.  So anything else i should  check out from people with higher millage avalanches ? 

thanks so much for the help! And i'm sure if I get this one i'll be posting/asking again as i give it the TLC it needs! 

Sounds like the right mirror has been replaced and maybe the weatherstripping needs to be replaced on the rear window or the frame is cracked.

ok, i was thinking the same thing about the mirror just odd they didn't bother with a turn single one, but i also went to GM parts direct and its not listed/listed as discontinued for the "right" side...  Made me go hmm....    Didn't think about a cracked frame weather stripped is easy... the other not so much.  thanks for the input.

and

mods: thanks for moving to the right section, didn't even see this sub section!

The Power/Heated/Turn Mirrors seem to pop up more often on ebay and craigslist. They are easier to find there than on any sort of GM Parts website it seems.

The cracked window frame might actually not be terrible. Most usually fix it with an epoxy filler and sand it smooth. There are also aftermarket rear windows available on ebay now for less than $200 typically!  (y)

4x4dreamer said:
The Power/Heated/Turn Mirrors seem to pop up more often on ebay and craigslist. They are easier to find there than on any sort of GM Parts website it seems.

The cracked window frame might actually not be terrible. Most usually fix it with an epoxy filler and sand it smooth. There are also aftermarket rear windows available on ebay now for less than $200 typically!  (y)

thanks!  esp the rear window info,  i know this truck will need some good TLC (was a corporate truck for awhile)  and the dealer is looking into the side mirror to see when it was replaced.  I just wonder why it was ya know, no signs of dmg on the passenger side, no reported accident in the history etc..  Maybe it got broke and couldn't find a GM part so went with the normal one.    I'm thinking i'd just need to replace the mirror and not the entire housing ?  I found a set of mirrors for 80.00 no housing if that's the case.

Many of us have gotten the mirror hung up on fence post or people walk into them in a parking lot. So I would not worry about a accident.

Only other thing would be to check the tranny. If it hasn't been replaced, then be prepared to replace or service it.  I'm in that boat now on my '06 with 170K miles. (I still limp along but only drive it on weekends.)

zuljin said:
thanks!  esp the rear window info,  i know this truck will need some good TLC (was a corporate truck for awhile)  and the dealer is looking into the side mirror to see when it was replaced.  I just wonder why it was ya know, no signs of dmg on the passenger side, no reported accident in the history etc..   Maybe it got broke and couldn't find a GM part so went with the normal one.     I'm thinking i'd just need to replace the mirror and not the entire housing ?  I found a set of mirrors for 80.00 no housing if that's the case.

Many of us have gotten the mirrors hung up on something while backing, or even going forward. I would not necessarily fret over an accident!

You can replace the glass, it can be just as costly as a used housing, but not always! It is possible too that the glass was busted on the previous mirror and someone covered it with one of those peel and stick overlays.

I also agree that the tranny could be a concern on a truck with those miles. The bad thing is, it is hard to tell and or predict if and when they will fail.

Some have lasted 200-300k before going and some have not made it to 50k before going. As with all used vehicles its a risk you take! They can be rebuilt fairly easily though  (y)

yeah i figure within the next 50k miles the tranny and maybe engine might go out, but the body is good shape no, rust or damage which is a rarity from all the ones i've looked at over the last year or so of looking it seems.  on the test drive the tranny felt super smooth so hoping it last alittle while yet.

Though as for how long parts last, well my 2010 camaro has its second engine, at 30k miles a valve broke off and fell into the piston chamber while i was on the interstate driving to work so yeah  :E: (Also on the 3rd driver's seat cushion as it kept coming apart..)

thanks again,  i'm planning on picker her up tomorrow <3    Then get started giving her some TLC and saving up for restoration and what not.  I even found a set of sail panel LED's that i never used :D    Now to get another set of sail panel window things,  remote tail lock kit etc.. 

Back