• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

for the love of God?! 8ga female spade terminals???

found these but damm, got to place a min order of $25 and even with that they'll hit you with a $10 "low volume order" charge

http://www.switchesunlimited.com/part-details.php?partno=HTF8-250-3-S

I just use a 10 gauge connector and open up the tabs to accept the cable. As long as your close it isn't a big deal. There is more than enough material there to carry the current from the 8 gauge cable.  Wouldn't use an 18 gauge connector for a 2 gauge wire but if pretty close it shouldn't be a big deal. I have also used 2 8 gauge connectors on a 4 gauge wire and piggy back them when the cable was intentionally over sized.

As long as the connector doesn't get warm and you don't get a noticable voltage drop you should be fine. I of course use heat shrink tubing to insulate from other connections.

Rodney

Part of it depends on how much the cable moves around too. I ended up using a 6 gauge connector on my 4gauge wiring running from the Alternator to the secondary battery. That unit was pretty stout so I didn't mind using it and haven't had any issues with it. But also wire tied my wire to the main wire harness that goes over the engine so it doesn't move.

When I go to the 250+ amp alternator I will likely go to 1/0 wire and will try to have it made from scratch. I bought a pass through stud for mine so I will have the 1/0 going to the stud then split off the power to each side of my truck from the interior with probably 4gauge to each saddle bag.  More than enough power for those amplifiers. Only thing that sucks with that setup is the fuses in the interior end up on the kick panel or under the carpet high up almost to the dash.

Rodney

redheadedrod said:
When I go to the 250+ amp alternator I will likely go to 1/0 wire and will try to have it made from scratch. I bought a pass through stud for mine so I will have the 1/0 going to the stud then split off the power to each side of my truck from the interior with probably 4gauge to each saddle bag.  More than enough power for those amplifiers. Only thing that sucks with that setup is the fuses in the interior end up on the kick panel or under the carpet high up almost to the dash.
Does this have anything at all do do with the OPs question or this thread?
We're glad you like to share, but lets try keep to the topic at hand please.

supermanotorious said:
to be more specific, I'm looking for 8ga female disconnects

What are you using this for?  As opposed to using individual 8 AWG female spades, would something like  an SB50 connector work? There are a lot of junk ones out there but Anderson makes some decent quality ones and I know they make them in 8 AWG, I've used them on a few projects and they're relatively inexpensive in the grand scheme of things. You can get a pair for under $15.

Just stating that I would get the cables custom made with the connectors already installed... That was my point which certainly is in line with the OP original question...

Back