• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Need help with some hardware...

Bawugna

Hi Folks, You have helped me in the past and here I am again with a relatively simple question, although I fear it may not be.  Can someone tell me where I can get a replacement bolt for the tailgate latch?  It is the upper bolt on the passenger side latch.  I tried at a Napa store to no avail.  We got to a seemingly proper size but the threads were not behaving properly.  I got a turn maybe a turn and a half and it became much too hard.  I did not want to force it and do a "one time installation".  Can someone help me source this item or at least give me an accurate size and thread configuration?  I tried Rock Auto and they only sell the entire assembly.  I do not want to spend 40 bucks when all I need is a bolt.

Thanks guys.

Generally a dealer item... Probably a couple dollars at most. If you can find the part number you CAN order online but 1 bolt should be cheap enough to get at a dealer.

Rodney

Ignore my previous post, I just re-read it and you want the bolt that holds the latching mechanism on the side of the tailgate.

Try taking the one off the other side down to the store and use their sample threads to find the size.

I did find a possible source for the bolt though. Part #17 on diagram, only $.95, but will hit you with 9 bucks shipping.

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/ce/CE9AA.htm

yeah I agree, take off the other side and visit a hardware store, I HIGHLY doubt it is a proprietary thread (I mean seriously, who the hell is cutting proprietary threads other than NASA in the last 30 years?)

it very well could be fine thread or metric, or metric fine, test them all and don't let the hardware store tell you it's a propriety thread cut, my Ace has told me that so many times just because they didn't have the patience to help me go thru all the options

I pulled one of my bolts, cleaned the threadlock off and took it to ACE Hardware.

It is Metric, M8 with 1.25 thread pitch. Didn't verify length, but looks like 2 inch.

Go to a Fastnal Store and ask for :
https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/1138621
about.60 cents each

I pulled one of my bolts, cleaned the threadlock off and took it to ACE Hardware.

It is Metric, M8 with 1.25 thread pitch. Didn't verify length, but looks like 2 inch.
Awesome. I've been looking for this info for a few days now. I'm buying an '04 and need the tailgate handle bolts but couldn't find the size anywhere. Thank you for the info and effort to get the size.

Nevermind. I reread the post. I still need the size for the tailgate hitch handle bolts that go through the tailgate into the hitch.

Last edited:
Back