• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Beam below rear window/above midgate - Rearview mirror

BigRed03

Hello all:
My first posting and I have a question (actually two) (Pertains to a 2003 Avalanche)
#1. Took the rear window out and the lowered the midgate. The beam (??) that is above the midgate seems to be loose but won't come out or down with the midgate. Does it actually come down/out or is it stationary when the window & midgate are taken out/lowered?
#2. My rearview mirror is acting up. Will be OK when first starting out (temp/direction) and then about 10 min or so..it starts to act up (flashing on temp/direction...power on/off) and then completely shuts down. If I drive and then shut down...and restart...it's ok..for the 10 min.
I've taken it apart and looked for loose connections...can't find any. I looked for smoked areas on the circuit board and can't find any. Resoldered the connections in case of a cold joint. I'm thinking I have a component that's overheating and causing the shutdown, maybe in the little box below the mirror mount. Any ideas or should I just look for another replacement mirror. Don't care about the temp and direction but the glare shield is important.
Thanks for your assistance. I've been reading after getting her in November...learned a heck of a lot and have MUCH more to learn.
Regards from Texas.
Dennie

Hey Dennie,
So you have the window locks in the Midgate turned? Plus turn the handle in the center 1/4 turn clockwise.

On the mirror, I'd check whether or not a new mirror makes any difference.

Good luck.

es...the lever is turned. Window locks turned also. No luck. Seems to be loose but won't unlock.
Will try out a new mirror...saw a few on ebay or might order one from a equipment dealer...then can return if it doesn't work.
Thanks
Dennie

I believe there was some old thread years ago that mentioned the midgate bar not lowering with the midgate lower section. Problem is it only lowers with the midgate if the rear window is totally removed and the lever/button that senses that the rear widow is removed allows the bar to "unlock" from the ends and come down with the midgate. You may want to remove the glass and check the bottom of the opening for this button and see if it is up, if not lubricate it and the ends of the bar to free up the linkage. Make sure the midgate is up and secure before you remove the glass.

It is my understanding that the circular "window storage locks" do not connect to anything and are not part of this process.

I have lowered my mid-gate and cross bar with the rear window completely outside of the truck and the window storage locks undisturbed.

There have been members here that have had to replace broken window storage locks and pictures here show them to be an independent device.

If memory serves, the locking button for the cross bar is located in the channel of the cross bar where the rear window sits.

There should be a small button toward the center of the lower channel that, with the rear window installed, is depressed by the rear window frame, causing the cross bar to remain in position when the mid-gate is opened and lowered.

With the rear window removed, the small button is allowed to raise, unlocking the cross bar from the truck, but now locking the cross bar to the top of the mid-gate.

In this configuration, the crossbar is attached to the top of the mid-gate and will follow the mid-gate into it's lowered position.

I also recall a post where a member had lowered his mid-gate with the rear window installed, then removed the rear window to unlock the cross bar and then removed the cross bar as a separate unit.

I am not sure what prompted them to do such a thing, but the comment was made that the cross bar is quite heavy.

CRoss BAr only drops with Midgate when the window is removed if all is working right.

The button that allows this is inside the window channel onthe bottom very near the center sticking up is a pin as described above. many old threads back from 2002-2004 describe how to get working again.

I would remove window and try to push the cross bar rearward to RE-LATCH tightly then spray some lube down on pin and maybe latches.

install window.
Open tail gate and then SLAM midgate so it seals and latched properly.
we open tail gate to let the air out when slamming and is not required if the covers are off.

Then remove window and store in midgate.
Then drop midgate making sure to turn the latch all the way...

MIdgate with cross bar attached should drop as a single unit.

Good Luck

Thank you very much for your assistance. Will go out today to see if I can find the referenced pin and see if it's stuck in place. I don't think that the previous owner ever lowered the midgate, let alone removed the window as there was quite a bit of "crud" under the front drain panel.
Going to get her all cleaned up (especially the cladding) before I post any pics. SUPER proud of her...and, as I've seen in several other posts, you know you like your vehicle when you look back at her after parking.
Regards again from Texas,
Dennie

When I shut the midgate I climb into the cab and put a hand on each of the "bumps" in the midgate where the latches are to push. If you close it from only one side it is possible that the other side won't latch properly.

There is a lever below the glass that gets pushed down when the window is in. If you remove the glass but the button sticks in the down position, it thinks that the window is installed and the midgate will open and leave the crossbar in place.

Back