• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

sunroof issue

supermanotorious

there are plastic arms that have the glass fold down the spring loaded, perforated bar to close, they've both broken making manual closing a requirement, anyone run it to this before? make something better?

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 119
This happens and is expensive fix as the CHevy way is to replace the whole sunroof base assy that the bottom of that arm was riveted to.

Or you can buy an external sunroof vent thingy that attaches to roof.

Here are some pixs of a repair.

Attachments

• 20130827_153531.jpg
    20130827_153531.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 109
  • C-_Users_RON-the-HANDYMAN_Pictures_My-Pictures_E-mailed-photos_New-Folder_20130827_150852.jpg
    C-_Users_RON-the-HANDYMAN_Pictures_My-Pictures_E-mailed-photos_New-Folder_20130827_150852.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 110
oh snap!! I took the part in to Midway Chevy, we realized the entire sunroof frame part is over $800!!, I aint gonna pay that

so Ron, thank you! can you elaborate on this? how did you remove the smaller broken piece? did you drill out the rivet and install a new rivet?
what did you use for rod/wire? I assume you just drilled through the arm?

well I have some old "flags" that cable companies put in the ground when someone wants to dig, they seem like the perfect diameter and stiffness for this repair

another question though, what is the purpose of that spring loaded bar with the 6 oval holes in it?

here are some helpful threads too! explains the bar is a wind deflector

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/sunroof-bracket-broken.33391/

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/sunroof-is-acting-up-is-the-dealer-full-of-crap.30457/

supermanotorious said:
oh snap!! I took the part in to Midway Chevy, we realized the entire sunroof frame part is over $800!!, I aint gonna pay that

so Ron, thank you! can you elaborate on this? how did you remove the smaller broken piece? did you drill out the rivet and install a new rivet?
what did you use for rod/wire? I assume you just drilled through the arm?
Not my repair but it was on here at one time and I looked for the thread but no good so I gave you the pixs I had. The fix is simple to do and yes drill the rivet out and make the wire, I used a paper clip and than make the necessary holes and rivet it back and your done.

The plate with the holes in it is the deflector and it pops up into the air stream to stop the buffeting of the air over the opening of the sunroof, the holes are there to stop turbulence or to create it to smooth out the air over it.  R.

well a paperclip would have probably been easier to work with but I got it done, I have a POS Harbor Freight riveter which did one side clean, the other not so much, but it's not going anywhere, I had to make some fine adjustments to the wire as the track system got caught up on it on the first few trial closings, I just so happened to have some GM high temp white grease so I re-lubed the track, the new rivets, and the wire, it's working great now

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 81
That is my original repair, thanks ronthehandyman for reposting my pictures. I had deleted them from my phone and am not near the truck. I think think the arm pivoting on the wire is better than trying to re glue or screw down the arm. I measured the distance from the rivet to the break so when drilling the hole and bending the wire the arm will be located close to the original position.

That's the thread mohler was talking about and I looked for but not in interiors.

I try to keep sunroof stuff in problem exterior as most sunroof problems let the weather inside the truck....

ygmn said:
I try to keep sunroof stuff in problem exterior as most sunroof problems let the weather inside the truck....
All is good. (y)

Back