• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Cam swap LMG

JLM09LTZ

Long story short, My 09 LTZ sounds like I have a seized roller on the exhaust lifter of cylinder #8. P0308 code. I can hear it dragging itself across the cam lobe. So with that said, my theory is, if it has to be replace, upgrade it. I'm looking for a decent LS family cam upgrade that wont require to much in extra parts to complete. This truck is my daily work pig and family hauler and my only vehicle at the moment next to my wife's Impala so I'm not looking for a ground pounding thumper. It tows a 20ft enclosed trailer from job site to job site so if I can gain a bit of low end usable torque without sacrificing a smooth idle or drivability then I'm all for it.The reason for staying with a GM cam is so I can stay relatively cheap as possible. So my thoughts were going towards the L92 cam (retaining the AFM and VVT). The L92 cam shows .500/.500 lift @ 198/209 but I cant find any specs on the LMG cam.

Would I need to upgrade springs/pushrods?
Any other known cams out there that would meet my requirements?

Thanks in advanced
Jay

Check out Texas - Speed. They have a low lift cam that would be great for what your trying to do. You can purchase just the cam or the cam kit. It's on their website and you can call if you have any questions.

Here is a link to an Article discussing Texas Speed's AFM/VVT camshaft.  I believe this article is older, and recently Texas Speed has significantly upped their game in the camshaft department, especially with concern for VVT camshaft offerings. 

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/ghtp-1205-camshaft-upgrade-too-fine-l99/

The downside to going with any camshaft different from stock is that it will  probably require a custom tune for your PCM.  Also, there is Gwatney Performance Innovations, who are extremely well known for their VVT camshafts and tuning capabilities.  http://shop.gwatneyperformance.com/

Let us know what you decide to do.

Thanks,
I checked out the SS1 VVT cam, sounds pretty nice on an L99. I plan on keeping the stock exhaust on my Avalanche (the family hauler thing), so I'm wondering if that rumble with come through. A tune wouldn't be a problem, I have a shop that I used to use when I had my 02 Z28, they did a great job and very affordable. How would this cam compare to the L92 cam installed in the LMG?

I'm debating if I want to get into the aftermarket cam after second thoughts. If I stay with an factory replacement cam, can this job be done without pulling the heads? I've never broken into an AFM engine before and I'm getting mixed answers.

I think the LC9 and LMG cams are the same, which spec out @  .467I/.479E lift-196I/201E duration@.050

I looked at the L99 camshaft As an upgrade:  .500I/.492E lift-195I/201E duration @ .050.  With the slightly higher lift and same duration, it should improve torque, and they're less than $90

But if your specs are correct on the L92 (and it's for sure the AFM, as some were VVT only), then that would be an even better upgrade.

Let us know how it turns out.

I think the engine I'm looking into is the L94. That's AFM VVT and E85 caddy engine. All of these L such and such codes are confusing lol. But as I was sitting and talking with a buddy, he gave me an idea. Where I'm from, there are a ton a wrecked Escalades and Denali trucks in the scrap yard. What if I yanked a complete L94 out of a wreck and drop it into the avalanche. Seeing how my LMG is VVT, E85 and AFM, wouldn't it just be plug and play?? I think this cam swap thread may have just become a motor swap thread.

Any insight on this??

Need to reflash the LMG's ECU with the correct tune for the L94, or use the L94 ECU with the VATs turned off.

Also, recommended you take the stronger 6L90E that comes with the L94.

Back