• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Thumping sound

edh64

I have a 2006 2500 I was coming home from a trip when I had to do a emergency stop from 60mph I was towing a camper I now have a thumping sound in front end any thoughts

Hopefully it's just a warped rotor.

thump thump or a one time thump?

Can happen if you have slotted rotors and under heavy emergency stop...

Did brake pedal pulsate?
Did steering wheel vibrate?

Could be a bad wheel hub bearing.
Or maybe bad a-arm bushings or shock mount or other suspension part.

When I had a thump and could feel it... Ended up being a bad tire from hitting a pothole. So depends on what the symptoms are. Bearings tend to be noisy but not a thump thump... You can also get a click click click type noise when a rock is stuck in the tread of the tire... 

SO I would start with the tires. You can always rotate your tires and see if the sound/feel moves.

Thank u for the replies. I'm gonna try putting on the spare on the right front and try each  wheel to see if it goes away

Hope you found your problem. I am having a thumping-clicking sound that seems like it is coming from the right front side of my 2003 Chevy Avalanche 1500 4x4, if I tap the brake lightly the sound fads away but right back when I remove my foot from the brake. :E: I just purchased this pickup a few months ago and had my mechanic check it out and did put in a rear u-joint,wheel bearing and ABS sensor in right front,new 265/70/16 tires,plugs,wires and oxygen sensor and cleaned MAF sensor. Did not notice the sound when I bought it,it has 192,000 miles on it. Yesterday the mechanic removed all the tires and checked the brakes,said their was some rust on the rotors but more on the back ones,no loose shields and he has no idea at this point. The parking brake was stuck down when I bought it and I has to pull the release lever and the pedal to get it up. It drives fine an no drifting.

Attachments

• CIMG1038 (Small).JPG
    CIMG1038 (Small).JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 25
Back