• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2007 avalanche rear axle locker install

enginenoo9

Can't seem to find the info but what specific axle does the 2007 avalanche ls have? The 8.5 or 8.6"? The reason I ask is I seem to remember reading at some point that the axle it has you cannot swap in a g80 locker because it's not the right size. I know I know, most suggest doing a truetrac or something else. A g80 locker is cheap though and I never had issues with them in other trucks. I can't seem to find the thread on here that said it or exactly what axle the Avalanche has.

You are better off getting the TruTrac, both for performance and money. When that G80 decides to grenade, you are going to be looking at a Much larger price tag for the repair.

Maybe. Though I really haven't seen any issues with them when I had my GMC Sierra prior to the Avalanche. I drove that truck harder too. But still doesn't solve my main problem of which rear end is it and does it even fit?

A lot of folks try to compare a AV to a Silverado, The Silverado is a truck the AVs are still SUVs.

Try this link it will tell you all about your 2007. It's a pdf file and 180 pages.

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits/Avalanche/2007-Chevrolet-Avalanche.pdf

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits.html

james21 said:
You are better off getting the TruTrac, both for performance and money. When that G80 decides to grenade, you are going to be looking at a Much larger price tag for the repair.

My TrueTrac decided that it's bolts should come loose so that one set of the planetary gears would get enough flex to break the exterior retaining ring into several pieces and let that go through the gears and bearings to the tune of a $2600 repair.  :E:  I have a pic on my phone and will post it when I get a chance to upload it off of there.

Sounds to me like install failure. I have never heard of a Tru-Trac failing like that. Esp on a lighter platform. I've seen them get serious abuse in F-series diesels, most with over 500hp and have never heard of one of them failing like that.

Did you do the install?

Back