• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

GCWR question

jbdoughty01

1.  LOVE my 2013 Z71 Avalanche, and don't really want to change trucks.
2.  Am aware that a 2500 diesel would tow as if there was nothing back there at all.
3.  I'm towing a Cherokee 23DBH travel trailer (~5400lbs dry; ~7600#GVWR).

So the question is (more legality than anything else):  With 3.08 gears (which I know is not ideal), the GCWR is 11k.  With factory tow package (and 3.42 gears), it gets upped to 14k.  My question is, if I've installed aftermarket class IV hitch, trans oil cooler, brake controller, and use a good weight distribution hitch set-up, is my legal max still 11k, or have I legally upped it to 14k by doing my own HD mods?  I suppose same question goes for trailer weight (5000# vs 8000#), but overall GCWR was my main concern.

Any thoughts?

I know either way I'm either over or pushing the limits, but I just love the truck so much and don't want to get something else (family recently got into camping though too, and have been loving that as well, so maybe could be convinced to upgrade trucks to a 2500 diesel...).  Just wondering if something horrific were to happen, would the insurance company lawyers hang me out to dry with my configuration...

Lots of grey area in your question.....
Of course an opposing side lawyer or even your own insurance lawyers may try to make you out to be a "bad guy" if you do any mods from bone stock AV setup. You should have lots of documentation to show the design limits of the mods such as weight carrying capacity of hitch etc. If possible get a letter or copy of email with hitch company warranty saying their heavier hitch is made for your AV and meets or exceeds factory one.
You can't stop someone from suing you but the more documentation you have to show that you were reasonable and tried not to exceed design limits the less likely the suit would be successful. The problem would be if over time the added weight caused a failure of the frame,suspension, brakes etc. and that failure lead you to hit someone then you could be found at fault.
In addition to the mods you have mentioned you may want to consider upgrading the AV's brakes, maybe even suspension, and also getting a Magnacharger to give you more torque for towing.
As far as declaring your AV with mods as officially legally a heavier class vehicle I don't think that would be true since most law enforcement, DMV officials only look at factory specs and display plates on trailer,hitch and vehicle tags or book records. That could help you some if you are stopped for a suspected overweight issue and the hitch tag showed you were towing within it's design capacity.

I grappled with exactly this in my pursuit to keep my truck for towing a 7000lb boat.  In my case, the GCVWR was 13,000, but with better gears (i.e. more useable power) it is 14,000.  That 1000 was all the difference I needed. 

I elected to add horsepower rather than change gears.  (I also added brakes, tranny cooler and Class IV hitch) I then weighed the truck when it was all loaded up to get a baseline of what the entire setup actually weighed.  I carry that around with me now as evidence.

If you plan to exceed 14,000 GCVWR, the truck just isn't rated for it.  In my opinion, the chassis itself is past its safe limit that GM stamped on it.  I would never exceed that rating for routine towing.  Maybe a short trip or something.

Keep in mind if there ever as an incident, a lawyer will figure all this out and come after you.  Anything they need to either not pay your claim, or ring you dry for the claimant.

---

As for your "legal" question, I think a good lawyer will argue for what is stamped on the truck.  Unless you go and get your "new" truck certified for the new rating, it will never hold up in court.  You can obviously make an argument for a higher rating based on your logic and see what that gets you.  However that wouldn't be a fun court case. 

Truthfully, in my examination of all this, I think the GCVWR is 14,000lbs for a Gen II Avalanche.  It doesn't matter what engine you have.  That is what the chassis, suspension and brakes can safely handle.  The reduction is entirely related to power and reliability.  So my logic is much like yours - add horsepower, hitch and cooler and you have an effective rating of 14,000lbs.  But you still have a legal rating of 11,000lbs.

BTW - I wouldn't want to be anywhere near 14,000lbs on 3.08's with a stock motor.  Maybe driving downhill.....

Just got back from the scales nearly fully loaded for camping:

front axle: 3240
rear axle: 3380
trailer wt: 5080

total gross weight: 12,200

Avalanche tows well -- but I'm exactly in the gray area of legality I was afraid of...

If you are comfortable with the lack of power, then I would have no worries on safety.  It will easily handle that load without being tossed around.  Brakes are up to the job too.  You may consider airbags in the back if it squats too much for your liking.  I would bias your gear to the trailer rather than the box and that helps.

You likely will have to drive in a lower gear to fix that rear-end gearing problem, but that is okay.  Be sure to add a transmission cooler - it is a fairly easy job.  I placed mine in place of the front license plate (we have no front plate here).  Also consider buying a new hitch if you have a tongue weight over 500lbs.  I'm pretty sure I installed a CURT 14080.  Here is a great thread about it:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,132567.50.html

For brake controllers, the Prodigy 2 or 3 is best.

Back