• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Colorado GTG August 24th PICS

Are YOU coming to the CO GTG?

• Yes

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ColoradoAV

SM 2003
Hi all,

This thread is here for people who might have not looked at the other cruise thread. So by creating this thread, there will be a GTG in Colorado on Sunday, August 24th.

Here are the details using a post made by Blueruck:

Plan to meet in Idaho Springs at the McDonalds at 9am - it is on the East side of town off of the 1st Exit coming from Denver. There is an old dirt road (smooth) called OH My God road that goes from Idaho Springs to Blackhawk/Central City.

Heading North out of BlackHawk on 119 a couple of miles on the left is a sign for a fire station and this will take you up Apex road into the National Forest.

You can play around up here and then go up to Kingston Peak and back down into Alice - which connects with Fall River road back to I70.

A place to eat would be Kermit's - it is East of Fall River at I70 and US 6 - seems popular everytime I drive by and there is enough parking in the area.

---------------------------------------

These are the plans as a whole. There are more details in the other thread.

If you would like to come, please post in this thread. But to get a more accurate figure, I created a poll so please vote :). So far we have:

Coming:
MeanGreenAv
Blueruck
Castle_Rock_AV
ImpactAV
mrandmrsburton
avalanche_gal
imageswest (probably)
Blue_03

Maybe:
kc and andi
Nople?
co_bigblock?

This is a pretty decent turnout but let's beef this number up some more :)!

Please join us if you can. Check the 2nd and 3rd page of the other thread mentioned in MeanGreen's post. We are planning 3-4 different trails and lunch together. It should be a good time for all. A lot of us are bringing family and/or friendsl.

Sreve

I'm glad to see a good response (y).

Here are a couple of reviews I found about Kingston Peak:

Trail: This review is from the end of the trail to the beginning. We ended at the road that leads to fall river rd. The trail began as a rough dirt road with small amounts of loose rock. As it progressed around the mountain, it became much steeper and narrower. Some spots had larger sized rocks and made for [slower going. As we wound through the narrow trail, the trail flattened out and opened up to huge bowls in the mountains. The scenery was spectacular with views of about 6 or 7 different peaks. The trail then got steeper and started to wind tightly to the treeless mountain top. Finally, we came to a flat area where views and trails down to James peak lake and echo lake. This is where the trail got steeper with bigger rocks in the path. At the top of this, the path started to go down and wind around to a large hill. The rocks in this area were large but avoidable in most cases with careful driving. The hill was very steep with loose rocks, however we climbed it with little trouble. This put us at the top of the final peak with great views of Loch Lomond. You know your there by large rock piles that people stacked up when they reach the top. We were told that you must put a rock on the pile. The end of the trail is a descent with a few switchbacks. It lead to texas Rd. and Fall River Rd. We would rate this trail a 5 because we did it in a 2001 Chevy Tahoe with running boards. The trail was passable with most stock SUVs but some experience is required.
-This review was done by Luke and Bob Roehrenbach

6-30-2001 my family and some friends took off for Kingston Peak. It was a picture perfect day as you can see from the photos. We had two stock vehicles, a Wrangler and a Cherekee. There were two that had lockers and lifts and bigger tires a CJ 5 and another Cherekee. Lockers ect.. were not needed at all. The trail was relatively easy coming up from the southwest entrance. Going down was steeper but with the dry conditions it wasn't a problem. They say this is rated a 5 because of the altitude you are at. But if the weather is nice any stock vehicle will be able to make this with ease. The views were breath taking. The trail was a lot of fun.

Castle_Rock_AV: you mentioned you were interested in the Moore Lake Trail. I would strongly recommend that we do NOT do this trail. Here's a reason why. It looks pretty brutal to me by the looks of these pics. You are certainly allowed to go up it but I don't think I will be. We would have to meet up where it comes out :).

First, that is why I wanted to make Moore Lake an option after we did the round trip. It is a difficult trail. From the 2-3 people that have done this trail - and the Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails Book (Vol 2) I have come up with this description - The first part of the trail up to the old mine head is easy. There are a few difficult sections but the worst part is the steep section at the end - Just takes some momentum due to the altitude. THe section where they show the guys going through the mud hole in the link is Optional. You can see the other vehicles parked on the side. If it gets too difficult, I will back out.

I really do not think there is to much to worry about on the other trails. The only thing I would recommend if you are concerned would be to start in Central City and do the Yankee Hill Road Trail first and then take Kingston Peak Trail out of Alice. The guide book says it is easier starting the trail from here due to the steep section being downhill - which they say is easier. We can then run into the Apex Trail and go whatever way we want from there.

Don't worry about the truck - None of these are real difficult trails, and unless you take off at 60 mph in front of all of us, we will take our time and make sure everyone makes it. Part of the fun is figuring out the best way to get through without damaging our vehicles.

When I was in college at Eastern Ky Univ - we would take our trucks (mine was a 77 Chevy - 350 4x4 with a 4-speed "bulldog" transmission) places in the Appalachians where I would never take the Avalanche. We would get out and walk the tough sections of the trail before we would attempt it. We will watch out for everyone. The objective is no damage - everyone has a great time - everyone goes home happy.

Remember - when these guys take pictures of their trips - and write them up- they intentionally take the picture at the toughest looking part of the trip and make it look even worst. Just like I intend to do.

See you on Sunday

I believe my wife and I will be able to make it, but I know we need to be in Boulder by 4:00 for another party. So I plan to get up there and then bug out around 2:30 or so.

Now to clean out that lake powell dust and the empty coffee cups before Sunday... Do you know there are not a lot of places to get coffee along I-70 at 2:00am :2:

I think that makes about 8 AVs and a Toyota. Please tell your friends and let's try to get at least 10 AVs.

If you can join us - even for part of the day (like Blue_03 and his wife) please try to come along. If you can only make it later - maybe you could meet us in Alice or somewhere along the trail. Let us know and we will try to work with you.

Let's get some momentum moving into the weekend.

Looking forward to the GTG.
Steve

Hey y'all. I made up some flyers for the GTG and will be putting them on all the AV's at work. I work at Buckley Air Force Base and there are about 20 AV's on the base. It's like a gold mine. Hopefully I can stir up a reaction. See y'all sunday.
Eric & Corrie

I am just bringing this thread back to the top. It has gotten quiet so if you are still coming please check in and post :). I just want to confirm that this is absolutely positively still going to happen ;D. I know it will happen but it would be best to go into this GTG knowing that we have all spoken to each right before.

Good to go... I and the family will be there Sunday at 9:00 My friend (in the TOY) will be there as well. That makes at least 3 AVS - Hope everyone else can make it.

Steve

Welcome Colorado AV - I cannot believe that that name was not taken. Good grab. Hopefully this GTG will be a success and others will join us in later GTGs.

See you in the morning Blueruck, Eric & Corrie. I just got an e-mail from MeanGreen - He will be there. Looks like at least 4 of us. Would love to have more if anyone else can make it.

See You all in the morning

Steve (Kendra-wife, Kayla-daughter, Ron- Dad, Suzanne-Step Mom)

Well Folks it was a BLAST today - we had 5 CO AV's and 1 TX AV (Impact AV)

We found some muddy water holes and a very senice drive - many fun pic's coming from the crew - I don't have many since I was playing so much.

Now if water comes through the intact at 11,000 ft the truck has no power and blows white smoke - no damage - WHEW ;D Had to stop and take the air box apart, dry it out and put in a spare filter.

Word is the Burton's got a lot of video of the playing - I get the vidoe from them and put it up on my site.

Here is a pic of MeanGreenAv driving my truck through the 1st water hole by himself - I know Jimmy just got his permit and I should have been in the truck - but hey the kid needs to play :)

Attachments

• Jimmys_driving_test.jpg
    Jimmys_driving_test.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 18
I have a few good pictures. It looked like Eric did get the best pictures and hope I can get a good look at the video. Really a great time had by all.

Attachments

• Line-up_2_-_Apex_-_WIDE.jpg
    Line-up_2_-_Apex_-_WIDE.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 18
Here is a fair picture of the ridge part of the Kingston Peak Trail. We are pretty far above the tree line here. Notice the switchback on the right side of the picture. At the top of this section (out of the picture) is where I was following MeanGreen and digested a pretty big rock that he had kicked back. It ground its way down the nerf bar and frame. I was nice enough to kick it back to Blueruck to play with.

Attachments

• Kingston_Peak_Ledge_Road_1.jpg
    Kingston_Peak_Ledge_Road_1.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 13
I know Eric Burton has some better pictures of this hill climb - Kingston Peak Trail steep section. MrandMrsBurton, Blueruck and I were the only ones to take the left - the more steep - side. It really was not too bad in low 4 once you downshift to 2nd gear. What a great time.

Attachments

• Kingston_Hill_Climb.jpg
    Kingston_Hill_Climb.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 13
Great Pictures Castle_Rock!
Joy snapped this picture just after that first mud puddle we went through with Blueruck behind us. ;D

I have 65 photos (8 megs) that I will link once I FTP them to my site.

Also got a picture of why I-70 was bumper to bumper - it appears a red surburban was ACTUALLY bumper to bumper to a white truck in front of him before the tunnel. Actually he was more like windshield to bumper, but that was the backup. :C:

Attachments

• av_aug_03_019.jpg
    av_aug_03_019.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 13
One of these AVs didn't go to the Colorado GTG, can you guess which one it was...

I told the new neighbors they missed a great time. I am working on him and a few others in the area, after seeing some of my mods they are starting to come around. Maybe next GTG we will take more mud home on more AVs.

Attachments

• av_aug_03_001.jpg
    av_aug_03_001.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 13
I posted all my pictures online, it's just a zip file. If you have a dialup connection, it's 8 megs so don't bother.

If anyone from Sunday wants me to put files up on my server to share, just e-mail or PM me, I should have plenty of room up there to share. I know blueruck offered the same, so maybe he will want to grab my pictures and put everything together on his site. Can't wait to see some of that video!

Back