• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Forever to fill with fuel and EVAP code

2004Slickside

I've learned that there are few things new under the sun.  So I'm going to ask about this to see if they might be related before starting to diagnose.

2004 AV 1500 4WD.  Whenever emissions ready testing completes the vehicle turns on the SES light with an EVAP leak code - which is not that uncommon of a problem and I'm sure I can diagnose that with some effort.  I haven't tried yet.

However it also takes forever to fill with fuel, as gas pump keeps shutting off every 10 cents unless fuel is just barely trickling in.  I assume this is not normal and I wonder if the two could somehow be related.  Anyone know what causes this filling with fuel problem?  I wonder if I fix that problem, it might just fix both issues.

Thanks in advance 

There is an evap vent solenoid canister under the bed just above the bell housing.  Really easy to change out...takes about 10 minutes and that is only to get the darn thing off the tab.  See this link:
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-214-2149-Professional-Canister-Solenoid/dp/B001KSCSQU/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Chevrolet%7C47&Model=Avalanche%201500%7C416&Year=2004%7C2004&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

This will take care of your gas pumping issue, and possibly your code as well.

ARMYtango said:
There is an evap vent solenoid canister under the bed just above the bell housing.  Really easy to change out...takes about 10 minutes and that is only to get the darn thing off the tab.  See this link:
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-214-2149-Professional-Canister-Solenoid/dp/B001KSCSQU/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Chevrolet%7C47&Model=Avalanche%201500%7C416&Year=2004%7C2004&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

This will take care of your gas pumping issue, and possibly your code as well.
Thank you.  I wondered if the two were related and it seems so!

Epilogue:  FYI the cause of my PO446 ended up being a partially restricted EVAP canister, not the vent valve (which had already been replaced by the dealer when I bought the vehicle in attempt to fix the problem).  There was no apparent blockage in any of the the lines from filler neck to tank and from tank to evap canister setup when I blew through them, so I went for the canister (which by the way I could still blow through using my mouth without much trouble - just not as easy as the new one).  And finally I can now fill the tank without the pump shutting off a hundred times and there is no P0446 or SES light after emissions readiness testing is complete!!  Yay!!

Now just need to get my spare tire back up in place!!  What a joke!  It's nice outside now, but I can imagine myself trying to take that spare out while laying in the snow sometime (not going to happen).  If I have a flat on the road, it will be time to call my insurance agent to get someone to tow it in and change it for me.

On to replacement of the courtesy bulb in my overhead console and tracking down the cause of the constant whine in my left rear speaker on my Bose system, even with volume down.  Goes away when rear controls are turned off.  I have heard of problems with wiring harness to the rear controls having problems under the console.  Guess that makes sense, as the console seems loose and rattles like someone has had it out and not secured it properly when going back in......

Back